NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Rummey solution? (seriously)  (Read 2004 times)

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: Rummey solution? (seriously)
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 10:13:45 AM »

Yeah, our party of three were maybe 500 feet behind this couple.
As we walked by (on the correct side of the road), they said to us "make sure you stay off the paved road". :)
The police officer was in his car, presumably issuing the ticket then.

Minutes earlier, as we headed up Buffalo Road, we saw a lot of people ahead of us (most or all on the correct side of the road).  This couple might have gone over to the other side just to be away from the crowd or "attempting to pass" them wihout walking in the middle of the road.

But, $74 is on the steep side for such an offense, esp if it is their first.

Just my 2 cents.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2010, 11:34:39 AM »

If you don't stop at the kiosk or notice the ratty old note posted on the phone poll you won't be aware of the ped issue. If the town condones ticketing peds then I think better more visible info should be posted. I also think crosswalks at trailheads should be a requisite given the amount of ped traffic. But that might really piss off the locals as, by law, they would have to stop for peds in crosswalk. The crazy part is how negatively climbers are viewed in Rumney. This attitude goes back to when the town wanted to close the pound to climbing. At one town meeting a gentleman stood up and said " I think you're all a bunch of subversives" Can you feel the love?
work hard, play harder

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »

Aren't you a subversive?  :D
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »

Tom,   It is mentioned at least 3 times in the guidebook.  2 in english and once in french.   It is also NH state law that you walk on the left side of the road  facing traffic.   It is also  MA, RI, NY law  so being from out of town is not an excuse.  

I would agree that Crosswalks would be a fair thing to bring up to the town as a way to make things a bit more official.  I would also love to see one of these at each parking lot  and at the pole 37 trailhead   but with the triangle made into an arrow and the crosswalk bit erased.   either on a signpost  or painted on the road like on bike paths.

"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »

people should really stop using the pole 37 trailhead anyway, except in emergencies. There is no good reason to have to be along the road once you get to the small parking lot, not that people shouldn't be able to walk along the side of the road if they obay the law. Locals like to go for a stroll along the road too.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »

True,  then some better signage needs to be built to point to the shortcut trail.   We actually did a little race last weekend and that trail was faster than the pole 37 to lower vadar.   I just don't think folks know that the stairs go to more than just A/D- venus.  Not to mention the stairs are going to be hard to see again once the leaves come back in full force.     Perhaps use some of the wood from the meadows tree to make a better trailhead there?   

ps  mark i'd be up for carpooling up there for a few days to work on stuff mid week if you wanted.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:25:55 PM by JakeDatc »

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »

True,  then some better signage needs to be built to point to the shortcut trail.   We actually did a little race last weekend and that trail was faster than the pole 37 to lower vadar.   I just don't think folks know that the stairs go to more than just A/D- venus. 
I, for one, am guilty as charged.
With better signage or Beta, I will start using the Shortcut Trail, esp since it is quicker than walking along Buffalo Road, etc.

I still call it Pole 38 and that surely dates me! :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 02:52:40 PM »

Oh i've done it plenty.  I was the one racing on the road :)  i was beaten and will use that way from now on. 

from the guidebook   shortcut trail starts at the wooden stairs  where  Baker is labeled.     

(i think the picture of folks on the wrong side might have been a mistake to put in the book.. at least without a clear label of what not to do.  people are lazy and will look at a picture and go "ok"  and not read the paragraph saying it is wrong )

crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 03:46:16 PM »

Aren't you a subversive?  :D

Yup, and proud of it :)
work hard, play harder

crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 03:56:18 PM »

Tom,   It is mentioned at least 3 times in the guidebook.  2 in english and once in french.   It is also NH state law that you walk on the left side of the road  facing traffic.   It is also  MA, RI, NY law  so being from out of town is not an excuse.  

Sorry I didn't read or bring a guide book. I'm from Maine. That's an excuse for everything I do. Plus I didn't know it was law, just figured it was common sense. Maybe you could tell me how many motorists know that in Maine and NH you must give cyclists at least 3ft clearance when passing. That's the law but personal experience says not everyone knows. Without signage how's a person supposed to know? I still think ticketing peds on buffalo rd is wrong. Just wrong.
work hard, play harder

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 04:35:30 PM »

There should be signs.  I just don't have the resources to make any that would last more than one rain storm.   The best would have the town make some metal signs the size of the no parking signs and put them up   ^:V   type of thing.   

It is common sense and that's why it boggles my mind that so many people walk on the wrong side.  I dunno about you but getting biffed by a car going 30+ from behind with no chance to get out of the way isn't my idea of fun. 

I don't have a problem with tickets..  the word will get out that they are enforcing it harder  and maybe more people will take it to heart.   I also think they should do a better job of controlling the speeds of the cars in the same light. 

DGoguen

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »

I'm from Maine. That's an excuse for everything I do.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually been used in court as a defense.

In this day of texting and driving I always walk facing traffic. Being a confirmed trad dinosaur I have no dog in this fight but I do find it shocking that someone gets ticketed on their way to a route. I would suggest their whole point is to be shocking. Word would spread pretty quickly.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »

I would suggest their whole point is to be shocking. Word would spread pretty quickly.

I agree. My experience has been that Chief Main is a friendly and reasonable guy and not opposed to climbers. I am sure he has just gotten to the point where he feels that is the only way some people are going to wake up and understand the seriousness of the situation. I can't understand why the town hasn't put up any pedestrian signs though. If they follow the rules, people have to cross the road twice getting to the crags, both times near corners.

The Forest Service really needs to get on the ball and finish the trail from the large to small parking lot. I understand how it will be a big job. It is short, but very difficult terrain. A bunch of blasting will need to be done to do it properly and make a trail that is inviting enough to keep people off the road. From the small parking lot to the base of the stairs beginning the Short Cut Trail could be done in a day or two though and a few good signs put up like "Trail to Climbing, cliffs and bouldering. Please do not walk along the road", with one at each parking lot. Then a few up the trail "trail to Parking ->" for those coming down. I would like to see the pole 37 ingress closed, but it is good for medical emergencies. This stuff is way more important than paving the parking lot IMO

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »

A bunch of blasting will need to be done to do it properly and make a trail that is inviting enough to keep people off the road. From the small parking lot to the base of the stairs beginning the Short Cut Trail could be done in a day or two though and a few good signs put up like "Trail to Climbing, cliffs and bouldering. Please do not walk along the road", with one at each parking lot. Then a few up the trail "trail to Parking ->" for those coming down.
This stuff is way more important than paving the parking lot IMO

I agree, esp about paving and/or enlarging the main parking lot being less important.

jlecours

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »

I noticed new pedestrian glyphs on the ground on either side of the road with arrows pointing in the proper walking direction.  They were subtle and spaced out between the two parking lots and trail entrances further down buffalo road.  The glyph across from the A&D trail head points out the trail.

I'm sure this will heighten awareness but even still, I found that when I say "Just so you know, they're ticketing people walking on the wrong side of the road"... most people say really? and then correct their ways.  It's a nice way of implying they're not following the rules without it coming off as an attack.

:)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 22 queries.