NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Rummey solution? (seriously)  (Read 1732 times)

TS

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Rummey solution? (seriously)
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:40:16 PM »

This is going to sound crazy, but just hear me out and wait a day before you react.  Maybe get a tall drink and take a seat?

Maybe the FS should just forget about the trail, and just acquire the section of Buffalo Rd. (from the big parking lot to the first driveway on the left going west a the bottom of the hill) and gate it off, turning it into a strictly pedestrian/bike path?  (i.e., Buffalo Rd. becomes a dead end, both coming from the center of town and from Sand Hill Rd. to the west.) 

The town then doesn't have to worry about car/pedestrian accidents, another auto accident fatality like last summer, the cost of the poposed guard rails on the very exposed section, the cost of maintaing the road and paving it... and the FS saves alot of money and solves a headache...  the climbers get safer access...the benefits are numerous.

Disclosure:  I now live on Buffalo Rd., west of the cliffs.  But this would actually add 2 or 3 minutes to my daily commute because I'd have to go out to Rt. 25 via Sand Hill Rd.   I think it might be worth it.

Sure, there'll be some bitching about how it takes 3 minutes longer to go to the "dump" (transfer station) by my fellow residents who used to go that way, but people will get over it, and they bitch about everything anyway. 

(Funny: I used to be annoyed by the cars when I lived in Bristol and climbed/walked the road at Rumney; now that I live on Buffalo Rd. I'm more likely to be irked by the groups of 4 climbers walking the road, side by side (on both sides of the road), sipping coffee and talking it up, oblivious to the cars trting to avoid them and oncoming traffic... Although when I do walk from my house to the cliffs, the old feeling of the cars being in my way resurfaces...)

Residents west of the Dump will see some increased traffic, because now everyone will be going to the dump the same way, but that will be offset by the elimination of traffic going to Rumney to climb from the west- everyone will be going to the cliffs the same way , the other way... (And other former thru-traffic will longer travel the road because it's a dead end.)  And residents will now have a much needed place to walk or take their kids bike riding without any cars on it.

Some problems:

The town would have to buy the triangular driveway of the first landowner on the left (traveling west) to create a turnaround (not a parking lot- that would stay where it is). Should be cheap- it's only about 50 ft. around.  (Hopefully they'll sell to help solve the problem and realize that living the end of a dead end road probably fits in with their reasons for living in Rumney anyway?)

There will still be some climbers walking on the road between the new cul-de-sac and the Pole 37 trail, but perhaps that could be solved with a trail?  (And if not, it will now be dead end with much less car traffic, anyway, so they can continue to act like they own the whole road with better safety :-))

The Sand Hill Rd, bridge is in poor shape as it is.

The town will have to plow the turnarounds, but they won't have to plow that section of road amymore.

I'm sure there's more hitches.

It's just an idea, so don't get all psycho the way I've seen people do here.  It's not like I have the time to push the idea anywhere anyway.  And a few of my climbing neighbors hated the idea and already let me know it already.

I know it may sound crazy, but so has almost every other idea when it's first floated. (Fly through the air like a bird? You're nuts, Orville!  A walking path from Georgia to Maine?  You're out of your mind.  Climb that overhanging crack?  It'll never go. Remove dams for fish?  Never...)

Nothing pleases everyone, but a liitle compromise and creativity might produce something that's a win-win all around.

The Baker River will eventually carve the road out there anyway with it's geologic way of thinking, so no matter what, mother nature and I win in the end... so don't get too worked up now!  Buffalo Rd. will eventually be a dead-end, although we'll probaly be dead by then, too!  Nature bats last...

Cheers!

jammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Rummey solution? (seriously)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »

I think you would have a better chance if you offered an idea for a sidewalk of sorts, more like a bike path wide enough for traveling in both directions.

The town will never give up the road due to resistance from the public.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:31:59 AM »

Side walk /bike path is a no brainer.

oldmansmith

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »

Side walk /bike path is a no brainer.

It was suggested to the FS.   Aparently they thought there would be too many complications by having to work with the town.    Still the best idea IMHO.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »

I like the idea of the sidewalk/path too, but I think it would take too much blasting of the ledges that come down next to the road. I could think of better uses for the blasting up at the cliffs  ;D The blue flagged Short Cut Trail should get most people off the road. The main issue we need to address next I think is where to put all the cars. The parking lots are going to be improved, but there is really little room for expanding them. I wonder if the FS could make an arrangement to buy the field across the road from the Camera's, though I would hate to see it become a parking lot. If I were the Cameras I would make an overflow parking lot and charge $5 a day. The real solution is for there to be some other attractive climbing areas developed to draw some of the crowds away. Access to Durrell Mtn (or Whiteface as it is called in the Gazetteer) south of Laconia needs to be straitened out. There are a bunch of sport routes and some trad lines there now on rock that is somewhat similar to rumney. Maybe Cannon needs to be made into a big sport area since it already has good access and parking :P

We need suggestions of steep choss heaps with good access that would make good sport climbs
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 06:58:03 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »

I think more parking would be a mistake unless more clifs were constructed.

jammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:13:56 AM »

The problem is that Rumney is the first place to climb as you head north on 93, even if it is sport.  Sure, there is Pawtuckaway, but the climbs are top roped, not the same quality, and usually bug infested.

I also don't see it wise to make more parking.  The crags are overrun as it is, unless you are an elite climber, where you warm up on 11's and climb the higher grades, then the routes are yours all day.

As Mark suggests, a place closer to the big cities would be better, but then, they would become like Rumney after awhile ...  ???

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »

it says something to the popularity of climbing, and especially sport-climbing these days.

--al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DGoguen

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »

I think a new large parking lot would be an excellent idea and a great way to avoid spillover at Cathedral and Whitehorse.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 05:09:42 PM »

Geez, who the heck drives further North than Manchester for climbing. RR is the ultimate experience. You don't even have to bring your own music system!!! It is awesome!!!

What's even better is you don't have to carry out all your empty beer bottles you can just give em a mighty heave....
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 06:14:20 PM »

...and a great way to avoid spillover at Cathedral and Whitehorse.

;D

--al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

adamiata

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »

Last summer I was rockin' out to the ice cream truck.

Geez, who the heck drives further North than Manchester for climbing. RR is the ultimate experience. You don't even have to bring your own music system!!! It is awesome!!!
How do you afford your rock'n'roll lifestyle?

TS

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »

I've considered the bike/pedestrian lane idea, and agree there's no room...but that has me thinking:  when I lived in Fayetteville, WV (NRG), the dead end road down to the river on both sides was two-way traffic, and scary as hell.  Last time I was there a few years ago , they had since made one side the "going down" road (one way), built a new bridge across the river, and made the other side the "going back up" road (also one-way).  Kind of a pain, but worth it.  I'm sure there were plenty of locals/outfitters/boaters who opposed it.  Not sure if it was NPS decision, or local, or state...

Maybe a compomise would be to make Buffalo Rd. one way!  It might be a heck of alot safer for everyone, which is the overall goal, I think.  But you know what they say about compromise somtimes: instead of everyone feeling like they got something, everyone feels like they got cheated!

Enough with the 'Cannon should become sport' and 'RR rules" diversions, fellas (as funny as they are)...let's focus here! (Cannon is my favorite cliff, so even the joking thought of it becoming anything like Rumney, nodisrespect meant, gives me the willies)
:) 
 ;)
I have to drive this road almost every day, people (and walk it somtimes to the cliffs, as well).  Help a brother out! You don't know what it's like!  And it's getting worse- the parking lots were overflowing several weeks ago, and the sense of road ownership/cluelessness/immortalization complex seems to be getting worse (or maybe that's just me?)...

Sorry, but the new trail still doesn't make the most sense to me, for lots of reasons... we can do better. Maybe.  Let's think outside the box a little?  :P

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »

Blast a few boulders, make some jobs and put in a hiking/bike path or stop yer whineing. the bike path is really the most comon sense way of fixing the problem and its good for the economy.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 10:37:35 PM »

After reading Wards update on the other thread it seems like the sidewalk/bikepath is pretty much what they have in mind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 24 queries.