Author Topic: influences  (Read 1398 times)

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
Re: influences
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 06:16:59 pm »
I'm sure kids see me climbing now and say "If that old bastard can climb 5.12 then I can climb 5.12"  I think that any normal climber can climb 5.12 with work and belief.  I'm sure 5.15 gets more and more physical, but at 5.12 the belief is harder than the physical for most of us.

I think this is very true.   as someone who's just poking their toe into the .12 realm  confidence is totally key. 

influences...   few partners along the way.   Jeremy Adams,  Sean Robar, Derek Hanrahan, jules conolly.   Then watching friends like Zeb and Vasya do ridiculous stuff  but collect some techniques and beta that can be used on routes for mortals.  My gf kate  deals with belaying on projects and all the ups and downs that entails haha

i'd say Mark might be an influence.. but maybe not in a good way.. i believe he might be trying to kill me.  Sending me up technical routes that are no where near my style (Gunboat Diplomacy will not be attempted again in a verrrrrry long time)
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 08:40:45 pm »
Speaking of Zeb, his dad is pretty good. Ward- the best thing about those days in the Woods and these days in the Woods is still- WHITEY.

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 10:24:12 pm »
Yep,  climbed with Eric quite a bit at College rock when i still lived in MA. 

Newest thing in the woods is The Chelsea Smile V13..   formerly known as..  Super Project   Ty Landman and another kid crushed it in a few days.   Whitey is bad ass.. but he won't be sendin' that one :) 
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 10:20:58 am »
Yep,  climbed with Eric quite a bit at College rock when i still lived in MA. 

Newest thing in the woods is The Chelsea Smile V13..   formerly known as..  Super Project   Ty Landman and another kid crushed it in a few days.   Whitey is bad ass.. but he won't be sendin' that one :) 
I read about that one on Ty's MoonBlog- sounds very painful.

Offline bmbuffy

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 03:59:13 pm »
DRUGS!!!!!!

Offline mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 10:46:00 pm »
 Back on topic-

Randy Garcia- he started me out climbing much harder than i should of been

Syko- His drive to do unclimbed lines in the best style, to seek out and not cheat the adventure

I dont know them but Chris Elms and Andy Tuthill. These guys did bold and hard new routes all over New England. True adventure seekers. I find that rope team very inspiring.

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 04:41:20 pm »
Speaking of Zeb, his dad is pretty good. Ward- the best thing about those days in the Woods and these days in the Woods is still- WHITEY.

... and the coolest thing about Whitey - he is out there on a climbing trip and we are here talking about him
-om

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 08:20:37 pm »
When I first met Whitey, about '79 I had NO bouldering experience and he had virtually no lead experience- what a combo. Got to know him pretty well over the years and he was always a cool dude.

Offline MAmedic

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 08:38:17 pm »
Underhill and O'brian
Weissner and Kraus
Alex Lowe
Ed Webster
Yvon Chouinard

Nick D