Author Topic: Rainbow Slabs?  (Read 2189 times)

James16

Rainbow Slabs?
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
I was looking to get out to Rainbow Slabs sometime soon and was wondering if someone could give me some info on some good easier 5.4-5.7 climbs there  ???

strandman

Re: Rainbow Slabs?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:22:12 PM »
perfect Wave is the best route I think. Good gear and fabulous rock. MOST routes are runout, espcially the easy ones.

dpen

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »
Yes, Perfect Wave is fun.  Nice rock.

Check the river, it could be tricky to wade yet?    When I went it was easy but it was mid-end of the summer..

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
If wading is out, access is easy (albeit longer) by using the road from the Covered Bridge Campground along that side of the river.

strandman

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »
Is it Lost ledge or Found that also has good easy routes too??? I also like "Solitude" slab off Bear Notch along the Attitash Trail. Nice views and some cool routes.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »
Lost Ledge has a bunch of very easy routes on the right hand slab and some other nice moderates on the left.

--al
Al Hospers

James16

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Perfect Wave looks to be the route of choice. I had heard that the routes were very runout so I wanted to start with something moderate. I never see anyone climbing over there when I drive by, but I guess that I certainly won't have to wait in line for the climbs!   

dpen

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
Strandman,  does Solitude = Table Mtn Slabs?

Dave

strandman

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
Strandman,  does Solitude = Table Mtn Slabs?

Dave
I think so- Paul Ross always called it solitude. Once he even approached from the Kanc after doing an f/a on Rainbow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:10:59 AM »
Rainbow is in Webster's guidebook, so i'd get my hands on a copy if you havn't already. As for runouts, Rainbow has it's share as does just about an slab climbing area. However there are a number of decent routes with good pro - including most of the stuff on the perfect wave area.

bmiller

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:29:01 PM »
The Perfect Wave is not overly run out.  Access from the covered bridge is pretty easy. 

The place does see a good amount of traffic.  I think most weekends see a party or two.  Most I would think are on the Perfect Wave. 

There are 4 or 5 popular routes on the Wave that all share the same rap so it does get crowded easily.  At one point I think there were was a second set of rap bolts but someone removed them...

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 01:41:53 PM »
What like Bolts right next to the flake with all the rap tat in the middle of the wave?

bmiller

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 02:21:01 PM »
No the tat is the current shared rap/belay station for two climbs.

The route to the climbers right of that tat, Cruize Control maybe?  Had what appared to be a set of modern bolts put in and removed on top of that route.

Offline MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »
Face Dances is a fun climb and a bit less difficult (5.6, I think) than Cruise Control. Also, Tsunami, although the gear is a bit sparse, again if I remember correctly.

Perhaps most important issue is the fact that you're mile+ from the road. Thus, if you're not comfortable on moderate run out slab, might want to think of another site. Lost Ledge is probably a better bet for beginners.

What ever you decide, have fun and be safe.

Mike

Offline Smear

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 06:15:17 AM »
The three rusty bolts to the right of the flake belay is Cruise Control(good fun),then Tsunami(left diagonaling dike),Perfect Wave and Take a Giant Step(a little heady 5.8).All quality routes in a quiet setting.Don't forget the Deet this time of year.They can be brutal in there!