Author Topic: gear4rocks  (Read 908 times)

Offline MAmedic

• NEClimbs Full Member
gear4rocks
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »
Ive seen these on Ebay for a few months.  Looks like some pretty ghetto gear but all companys started somewhere.  they are certified in Kiev by the science institute but they dont list the test specs.  Not sure if anyone has heard anything or *kringe* used them
gear4rocks.com
Nick D

Offline bluesnpolitics

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: gear4rocks
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:33:13 PM »
I will never climb with any gear that is not UIAA certified. That doesn't mean that everything that is not certified is bad, but why try it. The metal may be recycled metal stolen since the USSR collapsed. If you want to save money make your own gear. If you want to support upstart climbing companies, I have a friend that works at a machine shop. I'll certify the gear in my laboratory.

Offline bluesnpolitics

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »
ps I know a lot of that gear wouldn't be UIAA certified. I just wanted to mention it before somebody else nailed me for that mistake.

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »
I'm thinking depleted uranium shell casings....
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »
I will be in Kiev on Friday... Anyone wants me to pick up couple pieces? ;)
-om

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »
Dunno, kinda scary but ??? When Bouchard gave me some SEWN SLINGS !!! I thought- " maybe he wants to kill me off"

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 07:54:14 PM »
John, he gave me some and I refused to use them. I think they are the same ones he gave you and you refused to use them.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 09:34:35 PM »
I will be in Kiev on Friday... Anyone wants me to pick up couple pieces? ;)

Just bring me back a piece of rock from the Crimean, please  :)

Bon Voyage
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »
I just checked them out. i would trust them about as much as I trust other gear, and with the differrance in price you could afford life insurance. I especialy like the starter kit #5 - 5 cams, 9 nuts, 4 big nuts and a nut tool for only $155
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 10:47:51 PM »
What's up with the 'plastic nuts'? Gear for the gym rat?

Spooky stuff.

Mike

Offline MAmedic

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 01:39:39 PM »

Spooky stuff.

Mike

that was my thought exactly.  Not sure im ok using a glorified coke bottle as pro
Nick D

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 06:12:12 PM »
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=282636&msg=766195#msg766195

Those interested in the 'all companies have to start somewhere' part of climbing gear may want to check out this thread.  One thing Supertopo has going for it is the breadth of contributors, maybe most notably some of the people involved in designing and using prototype gear BITD, gear we often take for granted now.  Great pics, too.  If you scroll down about 3/4, you'll see a pic of Chiloe with a blue plastic Foxhead on his harness.  Various other nuts and hexes, a Lowe cam, a double Lowe ball (sweet!) can be found as well.
Enjoy.
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »

Spooky stuff.

Mike

NO plastic nuts are what you get after a vascetomy

Offline cadmus

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 01:01:17 AM »
I bookmarked this thread some time ago, I hate to bring it to the top but they got CE certification on at least one product line... incase anyone cares. 
I had been sending emails to the gear4rocks staff on and off for some time asking about CE/UIAA endorsement.  Several months ago they got CE certification on their "links cams" (without any redesign needed).  They claim on the website that they will be working on other product lines, I am guessing this is not a cheap process for them and that is likely why they took so long and have only a few products certified. I can not fault them for that. 

Their website is here:
http://gear4rocks.com/
Their  Links cams are the ones that are CE certified. 
The Set of 5 is here for $131:
http://shop.gear4rocks.com/sets-of-cams/rock-climbing-links-cams-set-of-five-/prod_27.html
And the individual ones are here for $33:
http://shop.gear4rocks.com/links-cams/cat_7.html

They are also on ebay
I too was weary, but having spoke(email) with them often, having translated a lot of the CE and Ukrainian testing certs/standards/forms...  I ordered a set.  I will post here after they arrive to give my impression.
best of luck,

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 01:55:43 PM »
let me know if you need any help with translation... i don't know anything about them, but being a ukrainian native - feel i should help :)
-om