NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice Climbs North of Boston  (Read 188 times)

Craig

Ice Climbs North of Boston
« on: December 12, 2001, 02:04:52 PM »

Hey,

Anyone know of any ice (when its cold again) that is north of Boston, near the coast. Maybe anywhere from Gloucester to Portsmouth? Some place that is a quick drive to get a morning or afternoon in.

Thanks.

Craig

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Ice Climbs North of Boston
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2001, 07:57:45 PM »

good question Craig. no idea tho. when I was living in Boston the only places I found were occasional road & railroad cuts. believe it or not there was one on Route 2 on the way toward Amhurst that was awesome. I saw somw in the Fells one year but I doubt it comes in regularly. I'd certainly be curious to know if you find something.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

sparky

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Steve Jacques
    • The Adventures of Sparky
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2001, 04:57:22 PM »

Hey Craig, Al
I have lived in the Portsmouth area for 4 years now. I have not found much climable ice. Ocassionally on some road cut down the road from me a short flow will form...Probably the Police would drive by and arrest you?? Climb it at night! I have heard that some ice does form at Pawtuckaway, upper cliffs by the round pond boulder area. I plan to head there this winter to scope it out. For now until things get real fat I will sport the drive to the mountains. There is a great area in New Glouscter, Maine that is a lot further north than Portsmouth. But it is a reliable place given the right weather conditions. 45 foot grade 4-5 columns and I have seen them about 8-10 ft off the rock wall. This same column area has been at times all ice and 100ft across which sets up for a stellar traverse. Although it has been a couple years since I have seen those amazing conditions. But still a place not to miss if in the area. There are several other problems and short leads. I can provide directions if you want.
Steve

Dan

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2001, 11:16:17 AM »

There is a waterfall in the Fells named the Cascade, on the Melrose side.  It's not all that tall, but it comes in thick and offers some fun climbing close to the city.  Also, I hear that ice forms in some of quarries in Gloucester, but I haven't seen it yet.

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2001, 12:25:45 PM »

Plenty of ice formed last winter at the Lynn quarry - really great stuff, dead vertical and even mixed if you want it. Up to 40m long. That's the good part. The bad part is that I'm sure it's illegal to climb there - the quarry is active, it sucks to listen to engines on the background - they don't shut the pump even for the weekends; also the rock is very unstable in places.
Most of the ice is in the back, not where the digging is going on and one can rap down and jug back up.
-om

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2001, 08:01:34 PM »

thanks for the info. seems that there are some interesting things here & there, but you have to hunt around. it really seems to be different every year too. I remember when there was stuff in a RR cut in Needham one year too.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.