Author Topic: AMC trail crew  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
AMC trail crew
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:16:11 am »
Took the new trail yesterday from the top of 5.8 crag to bonsai - wiameah junction. last weekend it went over a small ledge, now the ledge has been blasted and broken up! What a mess! The forest circus has hired them to do trail work and so far all i have seen is destruction. Why the hell did they find it nescessary to break up that ledge that a 4 year old could have negotiated. What a bunch of hackers!

Offline adamiata

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: AMC trail crew
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:38:36 pm »
If I had access to explosives, I'd blow stuff up too.
How do you afford your rock'n'roll lifestyle?

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:53:39 am »
Right!
Jon Howard

bristolpipe

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:25:38 am »
Took the new trail yesterday from the top of 5.8 crag to bonsai - wiameah junction. last weekend it went over a small ledge, now the ledge has been blasted and broken up! What a mess! The forest circus has hired them to do trail work and so far all i have seen is destruction. Why the hell did they find it nescessary to break up that ledge that a 4 year old could have negotiated. What a bunch of hackers!

You are directly on the path to becoming friends with the governing body.

Maybe you should accuse their kids of spitting on sidewalks and clubbing baby seals so that we can put all climbers in a positive light.  Because, you know, no one from the Forest Service reads internet forums, ever.

Tard.

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:26:48 am »
Really BP, has it come to this.
Jon Howard

Offline epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:32:00 am »
Whoa.

I didn't think that they really needed to blast that ledge. It was just the right size and a natural weakness to get through that spot. IN FACT my three-year-old daughter navigated it without any problems several times this season. The only thing that I could have asked for was a hand line or something through there.

Blasting... such a perminant scar where, IMHO, it really wasn't needed.

I support the trailbuilding efforts. And I'm hoping to see the handicap accessable trail when it is completed.

bristolpipe

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:35:20 am »
Really BP, has it come to this.

So you advocate pissing off the Forest Service so that gym rats can access rocks?

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:37:40 pm »
Handicap gymrats apparently
Jon Howard

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 04:57:41 pm »
Whoa.

I didn't think that they really needed to blast that ledge. It was just the right size and a natural weakness to get through that spot. IN FACT my three-year-old daughter navigated it without any problems several times this season. The only thing that I could have asked for was a hand line or something through there.

Blasting... such a perminant scar where, IMHO, it really wasn't needed.

I support the trailbuilding efforts. And I'm hoping to see the handicap accessable trail when it is completed.

Thankyou Epoch, If you could not negotiate that the way it was you should be in a nursing home sharing a room with BP! Not out climbing! What a waste of money.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:54 pm »
Maybe they have some idea to make it accessible in winter, when that ledge becomes an iceflow. They way it was worked to a certain extant, but I know I always had to clean debris off of the natural steps and whack ice off of them at times. The FS mandate I think is to make a trail that accommodates more traffic and will hold up without constant upkeep. It is supposed to be so good that people won't still go up the road.. Let's give the AMC a chance to finish what they are doing before nit picking every move. I know if people looked at stuff I do half way into the job, they could find plenty of things to grumble about... work in progress people.. a lot better than the years of nothing I think

You are all making me curious to pay a visit to Rumney. I havent been there in months I think
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:36:20 pm by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline sparrow

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 07:00:56 am »
Don't do it, Mark!  I swear, the place is totally rigged with booby traps!

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 03:43:34 pm »
I made it back to Rumney this past weekend and checked out the trailwork. I thought the crew was doing a great job. here is a view of the steps leading up the hillside towards Armed & Dangerous:

The "blasting" and "destruction" people mentioned earlier was a little bit of ledge removed so a person with a big pack could negotiate the natural steps a little easier without  feeling like they are going to get bumped off. It really was very minor and a good idea I think. It is a little raw looking since it is brand new, but give it some time to weather and it will look fine. I was a little surprised that the blue flagged trail from the small parking lot to the base of these steps was not cut out and graded yet, as a big point is to get people right off and not trooping up the road. There is an obvious need for signes too. I'll see if the RCA can make suggestions for these as we know the correct names for things, and maybe a member can even make them up if the FS is too busy.

The only issue I saw was where the trail goes from these steps and traverses across where the Venus stream flows in the spring time. We had situated raised flat stones to act as stepping stones to keep people above the water. These seemed to have been removed to make the trail smoother, but it will thereby become a riverbed in wet weather. Obviously, some new raised stone steps will have to be made across this drainage area.

Much work is still needed, which I think is planned for next year, but just the addition of the steps is a huge help.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:34:19 pm by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 04:34:33 pm »
looks good!
Jon Howard

Offline crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 08:09:12 pm »
I think dynamite has its place in Rumney.  ;D
work hard, play harder

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 08:25:32 pm »
It's all your fault, Tom. You put up Peer Pressure
-Ralph Waldo Emerson