Author Topic: AMC trail crew  (Read 5570 times)

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: AMC trail crew
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 11:00:27 pm »
It's all your fault, Tom. You put up Peer Pressure
Nah, I think the fault clearly lies with Team Tough.  ;)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 07:32:33 am »
It's all your fault, Tom. You put up Peer Pressure

Yup, jay Lena and I did it ground up drilling by hand. The style didn't catch on.
work hard, play harder

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 07:52:16 am »
I had some dealing with the forest Circus regarding Deer leap a few years ago and it was not a positive experience. Their #1 requirement for an official trail is that it is safe enough that they won't get sued. I tried to explain to them that climbers often need to travel on 4th class ground to access climbs but they wouldn't buy it. I had a good shot of the sign  @ seneca somewheres. They simply warn you that the east side trail is dangerous and if you slip you will die. The people that I dealed with in the northeast wouldn't buy that method and wanted the trail to be 100% safe so that no one could slip and sue them. The estimate to build a 1/8th of a mile trail to the climbers area was $85,000 :P

Offline epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 08:04:29 am »
I had some dealing with the forest Circus regarding Deer leap a few years ago and it was not a positive experience. Their #1 requirement for an official trail is that it is safe enough that they won't get sued. I tried to explain to them that climbers often need to travel on 4th class ground to access climbs but they wouldn't buy it. I had a good shot of the sign  @ seneca somewheres. They simply warn you that the east side trail is dangerous and if you slip you will die. The people that I dealed with in the northeast wouldn't buy that method and wanted the trail to be 100% safe so that no one could slip and sue them. The estimate to build a 1/8th of a mile trail to the climbers area was $85,000 :P
$85,000???

Paper pushing prices must be shooting up! That's insane!

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 08:20:27 am »
Enviornmental impact study, archealogical study and then build a basicly  handycap access to a climbing area that is about 200m from the parkinglot.  The 4th class outlaw trail that we use now really sucks for evac but I could spiff it up in about a week.  It needs 3 section of steps. The first  steps just past the cave about 20ft then a 15ft section and finaly an 8 ft section.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 08:39:25 am »
Sounds like complete BS. The FS getting sued?? There are all kinds of trails that are dangerous if you spaz out and fall
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 08:41:42 am »

Yup, jay Lena and I did it ground up drilling by hand. The style didn't catch on.

Thank God! What a pile Rumney would be if it had.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 08:57:57 am »
Mark, lawsuits were in fact the #1 concern for the forest circus in regards to the deer Leap trail. the reson they closed the climbers trail (used to be the tourist trail) was due to fear of lawsuits. They then re routed the tourist trail so it takes a mile to go 200m. They spent over 100G doing that.... the $85,000 was an official estimate on what it would take to study, do the enginering and build the  climbers traill. All 200 meters of it :P

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 09:17:43 am »
I wonder when they were last actually sued for something like that, and what it cost to defend themselves
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 09:51:10 am »
Aparently there are official rules on grade  and width that they have to follow when constructing a trail...

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 10:42:20 am »
Pretty soon they will have to install airbags with sensors all along the sides of the trail in case your wheelchair gets out of hand, and maybe a UV blocking canopy over head
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

DLottmann

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 03:28:31 pm »

I would love to see something like that at Humphrey's Ledge. How do you get the AMC Trail Crew to tackle that one?

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »
The FS got a grant and hired them. I can't remember the details, but i think the AMC volunteered some too. I agree, Humphrey's needs some trail work badly. You might want to do some major trundling first though so it doesnt wreck the trail afterwards. the place looks like a bunch is ready to fall down  ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:40:12 pm by M_Sprague »
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 04:36:34 pm »
Humphrey's always looks like it's falling down...and in fact it is. look down the bank when you hike that trail. there is a talus field down there.
Al Hospers

DLottmann

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 06:47:11 pm »
Humphrey's always looks like it's falling down...and in fact it is. look down the bank when you hike that trail. there is a talus field down there.

IDK, that talus field doesn't have a lot of new blocks every year like some other areas... There's just a lot of "grit" in that area... ball bearings on the trail... but I don't think Humphrey's is any more disposed to random rock fall than Cathedral... I should ask Sarah Garlick about it... seriously, have you guys seen her new book in some of the local climbing shops? Looks sweet, kind of a geology book specifically for climbers...