Author Topic: AMC trail crew  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: AMC trail crew
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 09:50:58 pm »
FWIW I have been climbing almost daily at Humphrey's this fall. almost every day when I hike that trail I see a different rock that wasn't there the day before. I kick it off the trail & the next day there is another one, or two, or three in a different place along the trail. I never see that at Cathedral or Whitehorse.

--al
Al Hospers

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 08:19:07 am »
I'll second the humphrey's is crumbling idea.  Never really seen any bigger stuff come off but tons and tons of kitty litter.
Jon Howard

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 09:46:03 am »
I'd hate to see something like that at Humphery's....just sayin'.
Tom Stryker

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 10:48:21 am »
I was at Humphrey's last week and saw this huge rockfall that cut my rope into 20 six foot sections. There was rock dust all over the place. I had to do 40 three foot rappels to get down. I'll post the pictures. (I have way too much time on my hands)

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 11:02:54 am »
I was at Humphrey's last week and saw this huge rockfall that cut my rope into 20 six foot sections. There was rock dust all over the place. I had to do 40 three foot rappels to get down. I'll post the pictures. (I have way too much time on my hands)

Classic Steve!

DLottmann

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 11:14:47 am »
I'd hate to see something like that at Humphery's....just sayin'.

Would it ruin this wilderness area?

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 11:51:13 am »
Would it ruin this wilderness area?

I think what he meant was, if you're going to go that far why not just install a gondola. At least that was my first thought when I saw the picture of the staircase. Or an escalator - that would be a pretty cool alternative.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 01:20:34 pm »
The staircase goes up a steep hillside and is meant to be the beginning of the main trail for approaching most of the cliffs of Rumney. It is supposed to be so accessible as to draw the crowds away from using the road. There was also very little suitable native rock to use in that location. All in all, I think the stairs are a good practical and aesthetic solution to the problem.

Humphrey's may have more good native materials to use, which is what I prefer to see if possible
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:22:54 pm by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 04:04:05 pm »
I would love to see something like that at Humphrey's Ledge. How do you get the AMC Trail Crew to tackle that one?

Just looks like another way to hurt yourself. What, no hand rail? :o
work hard, play harder

DLottmann

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 05:29:40 pm »
I would prefer natural/native materials as well... but I imagine it can be quite difficult/costly digging enough up... like the stone steps below Recompense, sweet, natural, probably took some serious time... the wooden steps up the slap below the Saigons, much less "natural" but quicker and more cost effective? I don't know much about trail building so I could be wrong here...

Anyways I don't think a nice wooden staircase leading up to a crag 200 feet from the road is un-aesthetic.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 08:54:37 am »
Any of you guys done the stairmaster @ Seneca? That is some serious stone work  8)

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 09:04:14 am »
Yep ,for me it would detract from my Humpheries experience.I don't see the point of it.Practically no one except climbers visit the base of the cliff,and if you need steps to get there you won't be getting up any faces anyway.

Now I know someone is going to wax about saving a tree or preventing erosion,but the steps wouldn't change a thing about that at Humps. The steps are made of trees,did you notice that?Let's cut down a few trees,inject toxic chemicals into them,reshape the hillside and.....save a smaller tree.
Tom Stryker

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 09:17:19 am »
Any of you guys done the stairmaster @ Seneca? That is some serious stone work  8)

Also refered to by some as the pumping station.  ;D Serious stone work and a serious workout!  :P

DLottmann

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 11:45:22 am »
Yep ,for me it would detract from my Humpheries experience.I don't see the point of it.Practically no one except climbers visit the base of the cliff,and if you need steps to get there you won't be getting up any faces anyway.

Now I know someone is going to wax about saving a tree or preventing erosion,but the steps wouldn't change a thing about that at Humps. The steps are made of trees,did you notice that?Let's cut down a few trees,inject toxic chemicals into them,reshape the hillside and.....save a smaller tree.

If ball bearings with a coating of leaves in Fall and Spring is part of the "Humprhey's Experience" I guess I see your point. I would prefer stone steps over wood, for longevity... some of the work the trail crews in in Acadia come to mind.

I don't think it is an erosion issue, or a tree-hugging one. I just think steps there would be nice.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:48:42 am by DMan »

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 12:43:17 pm »
After reading this thread it occurred to me..... Seeing as I am getting on in age (I will be 52 or is it 53 on Tuesday) perhaps next time I climb at Humphreys some young one could just carry me to the base. One person traveling the trail instead of 2 would reduce erosion, limit liability and would save me precious energy that could be expended on climbing as opposed to hiking. It would also save my deteriorating knees further damage.