NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rapell backups  (Read 687 times)

perswig

• NEClimbs God
Re: Rapell backups
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »

...except maybe that it's out of the way? 
Mine is permanently on the legloop, doesn't need to be moved from the back of my harness to the belay loop, doesn't frig me up tying in, doesn't catch on gear (although backstepping with crampons does occ catch it, not good for the ACL).  Your points are good, Dave, and I vastly prefer rigging below the device vs above, but between it's out-of-the-way permanent home and dislike of extending my device, I think mine's staying put.
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2009, 09:11:10 PM »

When have leg loops ever come undone by themselves  out side of Cliff hanger??   They should be doubled back anyway..  petzls are auto doubleback. 

you don't need full strength as all the weight it needs to hold is the amount of force your brake hand would be holding.  your belay loop will be carrying your weight  from the rap device. 

"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Paul Calabro

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »

Hmm, on my Petzl Adjama the legloops don't stay tight.  They don't double back, they're just supposed to stay tight once you tighten them...  While they've never come undone (I tuck the extra webbing under the black elastic band designed for this purpose on the harness, and the doubled-over sewn end of the webbing would never fit through the buckle anyway), they do loosen all the time, and this can definitely be annoying when I clip a rappel backup into the legloop.  Sortof a non-issue, as the legloop wouldn't actually come undone, but could certainly be a good reason to start backing up my rappel off the belay loop.
Bonatti is God

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2009, 10:37:22 PM »

Never had a leg loop come undone and the only time i ever ended up weighting the leg loop attached auto block  I did NOT go upsided down. Why should i change my system when it works well for me? I don't like the rap device extended. I run it directly off my belay loop and it works just fine without adding annother link to the system.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:34:51 AM by tradmanclimbz »

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2009, 11:41:56 PM »

Hmm, on my Petzl Adjama the legloops don't stay tight.  They don't double back, they're just supposed to stay tight once you tighten them...  While they've never come undone (I tuck the extra webbing under the black elastic band designed for this purpose on the harness, and the doubled-over sewn end of the webbing would never fit through the buckle anyway), they do loosen all the time, and this can definitely be annoying when I clip a rappel backup into the legloop.  Sortof a non-issue, as the legloop wouldn't actually come undone, but could certainly be a good reason to start backing up my rappel off the belay loop.

Petzl Adjama  has  auto double back buckles on the waist and leg loops.    I've had mine for 4ish years and haven't had them come loose ever.  :shrug:     but either way as you said it won't come apart so it will still hold.
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2009, 09:03:27 AM »

I'm with you trad, less parts and I already know it works.
Jon Howard

DLottmann

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »

you don't need full strength as all the weight it needs to hold is the amount of force your brake hand would be holding.  your belay loop will be carrying your weight  from the rap device. 

You do if you need to climb back up the rope, missed your rap station, etc... Not super likely but sometime in the winter I choose a station higher than where I ended up...

DLottmann

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 10:32:32 AM »

Hmm, on my Petzl Adjama the legloops don't stay tight.  They don't double back, they're just supposed to stay tight once you tighten them... they do loosen all the time, and this can definitely be annoying when I clip a rappel backup into the legloop...

It was this "loosening" that got me to start going off my belay loop...

DLottmann

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »

Many different ways to skin a cat... people weren't dropping from the ole' "pinch and slide" belay technique but we revised it anyways to the safer "brake and slide" method... what ever works works, but I would say try it once or twice... it really isn't a PITA...

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2009, 10:47:47 AM »

I did try it and it works but not as well as my system.  My autoblock is fixed on my leg loop ready to deploy anytime i need it.  It would be annoying to have it on my belay loop.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 23 queries.