NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockfall on Canon  (Read 1648 times)

Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Rockfall on Canon
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »

No way dOOd... I think the lesson is that incompetent climbers should stay home or climb at Rumney or somethign like that....   ::)

Everyone should go to Rumney! Cathedral and Whitehorse were quiet all summer. Didn't wait for 1 route!

keese

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »

Summit, 
Thanks a bunch for posting!  I was in the party below those that you talked to, I was leading P2/3 at the time of the rockfall.  We (the lower parties) believed you to be a party of three.  Probably confused you with another party in the parking lot. It sounds like you made the right decisions. Hiking down we were trying to determine how your anchor had fallen apart without injuries and assumed that there had been a second fall from a few feet over a ledge that had knocked out the anchor.  Again thinking you were a group of three we were wondering how that was working out to go up rather than down with so many people.  When I reached the other two groups around P3 they were all rigging to go down, so I followed suit.  The first block had impacted their ledge so I don't blame them...)  They also had said they offered to go up to you.  Dont know anything about that, im guessing they assumed you would ask them to come up if you needed it. Glad to hear that you made it down ok!  Someone said they would call you guys in to SAR whoever.  There were a lot of people around at the bottom, I dont really remember who that was.  We saw you continuing from the trail, (spent a while looking for your 3rd member...) and you seemed to be moving slow, but sure. 

Rest of you

c'mon???
are the Neclimbs boards so boring you just take it in turns to troll each other...  get outside !

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »

I wish the New Hampshire would hire me to rap down Cannon with a crowbar for a year. Of course probably 70% of the routes would be mostly gone and the scree field would be 30 ft taller by the time I got through, and no more Whitney Gilman ridge
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »

Summit, 
Thanks a bunch for posting!  I was in the party below those that you talked to, I was leading P2/3 at the time of the rockfall.  We (the lower parties) believed you to be a party of three.  Probably confused you with another party in the parking lot. It sounds like you made the right decisions. Hiking down we were trying to determine how your anchor had fallen apart without injuries and assumed that there had been a second fall from a few feet over a ledge that had knocked out the anchor.  Again thinking you were a group of three we were wondering how that was working out to go up rather than down with so many people.  When I reached the other two groups around P3 they were all rigging to go down, so I followed suit.  The first block had impacted their ledge so I don't blame them...)  They also had said they offered to go up to you.  Dont know anything about that, im guessing they assumed you would ask them to come up if you needed it. Glad to hear that you made it down ok!  Someone said they would call you guys in to SAR whoever.  There were a lot of people around at the bottom, I dont really remember who that was.  We saw you continuing from the trail, (spent a while looking for your 3rd member...) and you seemed to be moving slow, but sure. 

Rest of you

c'mon???
are the Neclimbs boards so boring you just take it in turns to troll each other...  get outside !

alright.. where are your pics of this rock fall there chief..    lots of BS alarms going off and you keep avoiding it.    Calling everyone else trolls just makes it even more suspect.       Why would anyone call SAR if no one was hurt or asked for help? 
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

summit

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »

JakeDatc:
All the alarms you want can just keep going off if you are already set to believe this is all BS.  I really don't care.  I was trying to post the information as a service to the climbing community.  I will happily photograph the rope (it is my partners and at his house) and post it - however I can't believe tha that would "prove" anything.  I have stated the facts as they occured.  The other parties on the face at the time will also concur.  Call SAR yourself and ask if they were notified on Sunday at approx 5 pm - and they will tell you that they were - on .  I did not ask for the alarm bells to be raised and did not signal or make any calls for help from the face - but only heard about it afterwards when we had arrived back at the parking lot and gotten in contact with our wives (whe were listed as the emergency contacts).

WG is extreemely ameanable to short pitching on 20ft of rope.  Especially if you are already above at pitch 5.  This is, after all, the way the original ascent was done many many years ago.
Sean Mackay

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »

It's not my fault that a supposed huge incident happened on a supposedly jam freaking packed route and NO ONE other than you and "you?" are posting about it.      "keese"  says he rapped own below where your anchor was.. but knows that a piece of gear up there was welded how?   He thought you were a party of 3  but talked to you?   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WhuikFY1Pg

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »

No wonder people don't post shit here.
Tom Stryker

summit

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »

Alright - this is rapidly devolving into a waste of time.  I have put the facts out there.  that is all I wish to do.  Doubt them if you want to.  

By the way, I only assumed that it was Keese I was talking to below me - I did not know who it was (no...we are not the same person).  I just thought that he was the party beneath because he had info about our rope situation.  I was not aware that all of the parties beneath had conversed with each other at the bottom and shared information.

I do not know why the rockfall of this proportion was not heard/seen by many other climbers.  Have no idea.  

Keese did not climb down past our anchor - nobody did - we were above everyone.

I am a newbie on this site today because I heard from another friend of mine that there was chatter about the incident and I should post the details of the event.  It is not my fault that I have not been a member before today. I thought that this forum was about sharing info. I may have learned my lesson...?  

I do understand your skeptisism - I would be reasonably doubtful myself hearing about this event.  However, it did occur, as stated.  You can forgive me if I am a bit agressive in defending the veracity of this.  However, it nearly cost me and my partner our lives (as well as those beneath us), so i am a bit touchy about it.

Again - I'm just glad that all parties beneath are OK.  
Sean Mackay

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »

Jake, put some boots on and run up there and take a look. Of course with all the other rockfall and piles of scree you might not be able to tell.

Edit: You might not want to stand there too long though
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:01:31 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »

WG is extreemely ameanable to short pitching on 20ft of rope.  Especially if you are already above at pitch 5.  This is, after all, the way the original ascent was done many many years ago.

You need to learn some climbing history, Read "Yankee Rock and Ice - A History of Climbing in the Northeast United States" by Guy and Laura Waterman.pg 36-38 for a 1st person account of that historic climb including a picture. It was not done on a rope the length of ours today but it was one hell of alot longer than 20'! Page 426 of Ed Websters second edition of "Rock climbs in the White Mountains of New Hampshire" also has a picture of the 1st ascent.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:05:05 PM by Dave »

summit

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »

So I got some history wrong.  Shoot me. All I know is that the final pitchs are fine with a short rope.  There were/are plenty of anchor possibilities. 

I'm done.  Learned my lesson. 
Sean Mackay

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 03:16:05 PM »

Jake, put some boots on and run up there and take a look. Of course with all the other rockfall and piles of scree you might not be able to tell.

Edit: You might not want to stand there too long though

First you try to kill me by saying Gunboat diplomacy would be a good route for me..   now you're trying to get me to go boulder catching at cannon...     

Mark is trying to kill me....    :-\

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 03:17:19 PM »

So I got some history wrong.  Shoot me. All I know is that the final pitchs are fine with a short rope.  There were/are plenty of anchor possibilities. 

I'm done.  Learned my lesson. 

I did it with my dog on a 10 ft leash. Does that count?

It was a chihuahua/samoyed mix and yapped the whole damn way

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 03:17:55 PM »

What is wrong with what he wrote Dave? How long was their rope? Do you know? They did it in seventeen pitches right? It's 600 of climbing,what is to split hairs about?The guy knows basically how it was climbed,which is more than you can say for most people.

Do you know where Whitney and Gilman roped up and unroped too?
Tom Stryker

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »

easy...easy...  8)  let's play nice folks.

--al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 23 queries.