NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: observations... about it all  (Read 99 times)

mtnperson

• NEClimbs Newbie
observations... about it all
« on: November 18, 2003, 06:48:57 AM »

I have just quietly sat back and read and listened over the years...
I first climbed in the 70's I think... 5.11 was hard, EB's were cool, and I think knickers were almost still acceptable. There wasn't chalk, cams, spectra, sewn slings,  Hugh had his feet, skytop was open, city of rocks was not a park, ( neither was J tree )etc...
You know what?... climbers ranted and raved then just as they do now... I don't remember what it was about then but I probably ranted right with'em....
I don't bother anymore, because the longer you play the game the more you see that it really doesn't change. The younger members make most of the noise....which is good because it keeps the sport moving, and advancing.
But as you move thru the valley you see the "veteran" climbers tend not to make as much noise.... chances are they have heard it all before and know that it is just like before.
So I just smile and nod and go climbing now and then... I climbed better years ago, but I think I actualy have more fun now....
just a few thoughts.
it's not that life's too short.....
it's that you're dead so long.

Hangdog

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: observations... about it all
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 07:54:43 AM »

Well said Mtnperson.....I'm going climbing.

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 08:52:11 AM »

One thing I will say, Mtnperson, is that I heard this summer a lot of the anti-bolt crowd bemoaning the lack of conviction of folks just like yourself.  Some of the more dogmatic young people felt that climbs needed to be "protected" against guys who, having, in their words, gotten "old and fat," were now willing to compromise their ethics in order to make their favorite climbs less risky and more, gasp, fun.  I know that a lot of the gripping over the retrobolting of Humphrey's centered around this very issue...

It's interesting that these guys, instead of feeling that they might want to listen to the voice of older, more experienced climbers who have had a few decades during which to develop a perspective on our sport, decided instead that the sport needed to be "protected" against its own forefathers....
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

mtnperson

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 09:09:13 AM »

I hear ya.... all I can say is that I would never alter a climb to match my changing skills.... and I would not support anyone doing so "for my benefit". Might as well hang on a piece for a rest!.... preferable to the former by a large margin.
When I can't get up something, well... so be it. No biggy... goes with game. Ones ego shrinks with age... along with my forearms.
c'ya
it's not that life's too short.....
it's that you're dead so long.

YoYo

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love Honney!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 07:40:13 AM »

Mtndude...
Don't throw away the Valiums...
You sound so resolved to age taking it's toll...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.