Author Topic: 12 weeks later  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Robbovius

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: 12 weeks later
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
UPDATE:

HI folks, news for those who had asked for me to let them know how the recovery is going. I am being somewhat agressive about it, to be honest.

last thursday my surgeon gave me the go-ahead to ditch the aircast boot for good. I had been weaning myself off of it for the previous two weeks, but I'll tell ya, since I've been walking aircast-less these last 5 days, my foot hasn't hurt this much since the ext-fixt was removed.

the good news is, the talus fracture is fully healed, and about half the talus bone has revascularized sicne the last xrays 6.5 weeks ago. I've been able to get up easy rotues at Central Rock Gym with an Asolo GTX hiker on the weak foot, though tonight I'm gonna try a gum-soled wrestling shoe. its still too swollen to climb in a climbing shoe. with the aircast on - and since I modified the front for better climbing - I have been able to get up all of the .8s clean , most of the .9s clean  and one of the .10s (one hang and a fall), though on the.8s these days wearing the aircast almost seems like cheating.

some friends of mine mentioned that the Auburn Ice canyon conditions are shaping up really well, so I am planning on heading in there next week to see whats what, and give the weak foot some booted crampon time.

today at lunch, during my ankle PT walk, I did my first  ahem, *cough* "Alpine traverse"  over the 80L x 40W x 20H plowed up snowberm at the back of the parking lot. I can kick steps! Mt webstah, here I come! maybe in late january ;-)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
Rob

glad to hear that things are progressing so well. push it, but not too hard. hey - it's a fine balance. you should be back on the rock easily by spring.

Al
Al Hospers

Offline pbgill

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 11:24:43 AM »
Rob:

Congrats the recovery is going well. Keep working at it. The view from the top of the Mt. Webster will be sweet indeed. My first post talus break climb was Thin Air. I had done it many times before but that ascent was special. 

PBG

Offline GOclimb

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 01:13:07 PM »
sounds good, congrats!

GO

Offline Robbovius

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »
Rob:

Congrats the recovery is going well. Keep working at it. The view from the top of the Mt. Webster will be sweet indeed. My first post talus break climb was Thin Air. I had done it many times before but that ascent was special. 

PBG

PBG, as I mentioned above, I've been climbing at Central Rock Gym in Worcester since Dr. Jack gave me the go-ahead for "50% weight-bearing" 6 weeks ago. last night I ditched the aircast for good and wore a gum-soled wrestling shoe on my left foot, and it worked pretty well. I was able to onsight one of the thinner .9s there. the ankle is still weak, strengthwise, and, yeah, it hurts, but the bones are all healed and its up to me to make it strong and flexible again. recovery FWD! ow...;-/

as you (I think it was you) had encouraged, I'm being agressive in my recovery.  I'm much farther along than I thought I'd be.

Gabe, thanks!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:26:17 PM by Robbovius »

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
 ;D What's the worst that can happen - Arthritis ??? A crippling life long agony ?

good luck

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »
This from the guy who started the 'death' thread ;)
Jon Howard

Offline Robbovius

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 09:51:30 AM »
;D What's the worst that can happen - Arthritis ??? A crippling life long agony ?

good luck

well, thats a foregone conclusion, simply by taking up climbing as a regular activity. don't have to break any bones to go there ;-)

Offline OldEric

• NEClimbs God
  • climb on
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 10:50:57 AM »
well, thats a foregone conclusion, simply by taking up climbing as a regular activity. don't have to break any bones to go there ;-)

But - like everything else - John took it to the extreme.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 11:02:49 AM »
 ;) Well maybe not EVERYTHING !

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 07:02:37 PM »

good luck
This info i got from my good friend Patty. She has been a PT for over 30 years and has climbed,biked,run, fenced, whatever "if you have a serious injury to a joint and resume the activity that caused it, You certainly will develop some type of arthritis"

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »
"if you have a serious injury to a joint and resume the activity that caused it, You certainly will develop some type of arthritis"

For some, including myself, repeated 'so-so' injury (which needed two weeks of rest each) and another 10 years or so of "resuming the activity that caused the injury" was all that was needed to bring on arthritis.
I have arthritis in my fingers; can't do closed crimps anymore!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 07:27:29 PM by sneoh »

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 07:31:50 PM »
YA ! When we did the ffa of Aiwas in '83 (gulp) I really jacked my fingers for the first time. Now I say "that climb made my fingers what they are today", they work............