Author Topic: cheap, but good gear  (Read 805 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
cheap, but good gear
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »
you don't have to spend a bundle on expensive gear when there is some good stuff out there that does the same job at a very reasonable price. in another thread Tradman mentions the following:

I for one will never drop big money on name brand climbing specefic headlamps again. There simply is no need. I broke one too many $40.00 petzles. My current favorite is two 5 LED headlamps from sportsmans guide for $14.99 . annother  good deal is the home depot  or auto zone where you can ge a nice Energizer with tilt head for $12.99

what's your fave piece of cheap but great gear?
Al Hospers

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
Re: cheap, but good gear
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »
I have seen a number of folks using rubber (neoprene?) gloves for ice climbing that are  designed for ocean fishermen. apparently they work very well. I have used fleece lined work gloves that work very well, except in very wet conditions. they also work great for rappel gloves.
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »
Dickies  carpenter pants.  less than 1/2 price of Carharts. not as heavy so you can actually move in them but still pleanty rugged for thrashing up your favorite off width ;)

Offline MAmedic

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »
space blankets. where else can $.99 save your bacon?
Nick D

Offline bennybrew

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »
Dickies  carpenter pants.  less than 1/2 price of Carharts. not as heavy so you can actually move in them but still pleanty rugged for thrashing up your favorite off width ;)

$15 at reny's.

Offline tstorm11

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »
A friend of mine made his first harness out of an old seatbelt and sewed it together with dental floss when he was 15.  He has since retired it.  He showed it to me one time and it was actually well made.  Cheap, but I'd still rather spend the $60 bucks for a harness

Offline T_Moon

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 02:37:42 PM »
I have a Patagucci microfiber shell that I got at Reny's for $30.  Love it, love it, love it.  If you live near a Reny's it is worth the effort to check in periodically to score great stuff for cheap.
If you want to get to the peak, you ought to climb without giving it too much thought.

--Nietzsche

Offline JSarcione

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »
I don't use them for climbing, but I am sure you could.  Best ski gloves I have ever owned.  Treat them with snoseal.  I find them online for around $10

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 10:28:27 PM »

I have seen people climbing in the equivalent of these. seemed to be just fine with a little liner glove.
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 08:56:37 AM »
I sincerly hope you guys are NOT useing store bought V thread tools :P Modified  Coat hanger works  well on cold  dry climbs. I have one made of thicker gauge wire that i like for wet ice and cold days because it will clean out even the most stubborn screw.  Cold sunny days at the lake when the ice runs blue and wet but it freezes inside the screws you need a beefy tool to clean them. My gizmo is the best and the cost? Zero, zilch, nada, N/C Free  8)

Offline JSarcione

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 01:59:37 PM »
I sincerly hope you guys are NOT useing store bought V thread tools :P Modified  Coat hanger works  well on cold  dry climbs. I have one made of thicker gauge wire that i like for wet ice and cold days because it will clean out even the most stubborn screw.  Cold sunny days at the lake when the ice runs blue and wet but it freezes inside the screws you need a beefy tool to clean them. My gizmo is the best and the cost? Zero, zilch, nada, N/C Free  8)

I used to use and old bicycle spoke.  I bent the nipple end around to make a small loop for a cord loop.  Then sharpened and made a hook out of the threaded end.  Worked really well. 

Offline bennybrew

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »
I have a Patagucci microfiber shell that I got at Reny's for $30.  Love it, love it, love it.  If you live near a Reny's it is worth the effort to check in periodically to score great stuff for cheap.

they've been having a lot of north face stuff at the ellsworth store lately.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »
I used to use and old bicycle spoke.  I bent the nipple end around to make a small loop for a cord loop.  Then sharpened and made a hook out of the threaded end.  Worked really well. 

LOL - one of the commercial ones looks just like this. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case too.
Al Hospers

Offline emack

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 07:21:36 PM »
Hi Tec WP Cape Trail boots. Find them on sale every now and again at Bobs Stores or Olympia Sports for $40. Very comfortable, water proof, rubber is amazing as it sticks like glue to rocks. Lite weight mid hiker good for any time of year. I grab these over my $140 Merrells every time. I also like OP ice screws... they bore easily & are sharp... although they don't have the collapseable  coffee grinder handle... for $25 a pop you can't go wrong.
"Life is an end in itself, and the only question as to whether it is worth living is whether you have enough of it."
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.