Author Topic: Oooops, I think I left my ice tools up there...  (Read 970 times)

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
Oooops, I think I left my ice tools up there...
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:32:08 PM »
One of the most embarrassing mistakes I've made climbing, just slightly less embarassing than running out of beer at 1am in Toloumne Meadows, was rapping the top of Lower Hitchcock and not realizing I had left my tools planted in the snow up at the rap tree until we had pulled the ropes. I got lucky; as even though we hadn't seen anyone all day, a party that had just finished Cinema came along just as my partner started leading back up and they brought them down for me.

It wouldn't have been a big problem in that spot even if the other party hadn't helped us out, but it could be a really bad mistake in other places and under different circumstances.   
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Re: Oooops, I think I left my ice tools up there...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »
One of the most embarrassing mistakes I've made climbing, just slightly less embarassing than running out of beer at 1am in Toloumne Meadows, was rapping the top of Lower Hitchcock and not realizing I had left my tools planted in the snow up at the rap tree until we had pulled the ropes.

I did the same thing about 6-7 years ago. I had a couple of innexperienced climbers with me and I was so caught up in making sure that they had their ATC's rigged right for rapping that I totally spaced the tools. The sad thing is that I told myself shortly before rapping off myself to remember that my tools were buried to the hilt next to the tree! I realized my mistake half way down the rock face...had to haul my butt back up to retrieve them. Haven't made that same mistake since... :-[
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:51:07 AM »
Hec k, i seem to try to do that at the top of just about evey climb I lead. the interval between when I top out  and when the 2nd tops out in enough that in my advanced age i seem to forget simple things like where i put my tools....

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:22:54 AM »
Hec k, i seem to try to do that at the top of just about evey climb I lead. the interval between when I top out  and when the 2nd tops out in enough that in my advanced age i seem to forget simple things like where i put my tools....

I hear that! I would be kicking my head in front of me all day long if it wasn't attached to my neck!!!  :P
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:28:43 AM »
Theres a reason I try to remember to do a dummy check when I leave an area.... :P

Offline MAmedic

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 07:45:05 PM »
A dummy check at the top and bottom of a climb is always a good idea.  I like to gear up on a blue tarp.  It makes it easier to see what isnt in your pack that should be. 
Nick D

Offline epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:53:29 AM »
A dummy check at the top and bottom of a climb is always a good idea.  I like to gear up on a blue tarp.  It makes it easier to see what isnt in your pack that should be. 

I like gearing up on tarps. Especially in steep terrain. The lubricating effect of the tarp makes it similar to gearing up in an avalanche...  :-X

Acquire some OCD and go from there.

Offline MAmedic

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 07:23:25 AM »
I like gearing up on tarps. Especially in steep terrain. The lubricating effect of the tarp makes it similar to gearing up in an avalanche...  :-X

Acquire some OCD and go from there.

haha, thanks epoch.  I have been lucky enough to be able to locate a flat enough area so I haven had to chase the gear slide.  As for the OCD, im working on it
Nick D

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 07:35:06 AM »
Wicked chest deep bushwhack into a fairly back country ice climb BINTD before good technicle snow shoes. get back to the car just in time to make it to work and realize that the rack  of screws, snargs etc is hanging from the branch of a tree at the top of the climb....

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »
Ah yes--snargs--hate to leave those confidence inspirers behind!! ;D although they were good in frozen turf!

Offline WanderlustMD

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 04:53:27 PM »
First day out with a new partner at Seneca I left his blue camalot, a screamer and 5 nuts at the top of the 3 pitch route. We rap down, hit the deck and realize my mistake.

Climbed a classic back up to get it, so in actuality it was good fortune. ;D