Author Topic: exploring at Humphrey's  (Read 358 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
exploring at Humphrey's
« on: November 23, 2003, 06:52:45 PM »
when I was climbing on Humphrey's on Saturday I noticed a couple of things:

1) it appears that there are some crags up above the top of Cakewalk, back in the woods. has anyone wandered around up there? is it possible that there's another Cosmic Crag up in that area?

2) when I rapped off from Cakewalk after doing a new route on Saturday, I went down the left side of the gargoyle buttress. I was the first down and while I was waiting for my 2 partners I took a lilttle look-see up & over to the left, up the little gully. about 50' left of the belay tree I could see an old 1/4 inch bolt up on the wall. does anyone know anything about this? I'd never seen it written up in any book.

inquiring minds...

Al
Al Hospers

DLottmann

Re: exploring at Humphrey's
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 07:05:41 PM »
I have scrambled around the rock above Cakewalk.  Some interesting stuff up there but probably not as good as Cosmic.

Offline t-rad

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 07:41:34 AM »
I once did some climbing on that section.  Can't remember what the potential for good routes was, but it was serious enough to warrant placing some gear.  Lichen covered.  Seemed unclimbed.  Jokingly we called our crappy little route 'we don't need no stinking guidebook', because we were lost at the time.  I'd say there isn't much up there.

-A

Offline t-rad

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 08:38:11 AM »
one more clue.  in the same area you found the old bolt, i found an old stopper with the initials M.O. etched into it :)  man, that was almost 15 yrs ago!

-A

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 02:18:44 PM »
Does anyone know what the route between Wanderlust and Run Don't Walk is?  I top-roped it off the Wanderlust 1st pitch anchor today.  There are 2 bolts on it, the first with no hanger.  Starts up a nice layback crack maybe 20 feet left of Wanderlust start, then has some nice steep 5.9ish moves getting over a bulge.  Anyone?