NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: life insurance for climbers  (Read 87 times)

gregor

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
life insurance for climbers
« on: November 25, 2003, 01:26:48 PM »

So I'm having a baby, or rather my wife is, and I need some life insurance to take care of the family "just in case."  In all of the stuff I've looked at on line, they ask about scuba diving and mtn climbing, and I am wondering what life insurance co's think about rock/ice climbing?  Friends who've recently gone through this have dealt with it in different ways...pay more or plan on not dying on the rock/ice.

I'm making the phone calls now, but was interested in what other climbers' experiences are with life insurance.  

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: life insurance for climbers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 01:59:08 PM »

I'm an old man & have a wife & young kiddo. <grin> so i definitely have to have life insurance. i got one of those 15 year fixed rate plans about 5 years ago. it isn't all that expensive for about 250k. they asked about the things I do & I said climbing. interestingly enough they came back & asked how hard. <g> I said 5.1+ & that was it. if you live in NH I can send you my agent's name & number.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Will_Mayo

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 01:47:56 PM »

Hi!  I'm an insurance agent in VT.  From what I understand about this issue, it's best to find an insurer that doesn't "ask the question" about climbing on the application.  Not all insurers consider climbing on their list of hazardous avocations.  Using our friend Al as an example, there could be trouble if he were to die climbing (heaven forbid) while leading some 5.10 at Cathedral, say.  Unless the 5.1+ were able to be construed as a typo, there may be grounds to void or rate the policy.  If it could be shown that Al misrepresented his climbing ability on the application, then the question would be, is it "material misrepresentation".  That is, if the insurer can show that if this fact (Al's actual climbing ability) had been known by the insurer at the time of application then the policy either: a.) wouldn't have been written at all; or, b.) would have been issued but at a higher premium; then, the policy could be either "voided" in the case of a.), or "rated" in the case of b.).  "Voided" means the policy is nullified upon discovery of the material misrepresentation and all premiums paid to date are returned and legally the policy never existed.  "Rated" means that all of the additional premium that the insurer would have earned on the policy if the material fact had been know at the time of application would be deducted from the death benefit if the insured person were dead; or, charged as back premium to keep the policy in force if the insured person were still alive and the insurer chose to continue to write the policy.  The insurer would need to justify that in similar situations at the same time policies for similar insured people were either denied or charged more due to the same material fact (in this case, climbing) in order to void or rate the policy.  

So, in summation, it is a horrendously bad idea to lie on a life insurance policy.  It's a felony and you could be foresaking the very loved ones that you are intending to protect.

I would suggest requesting from a local agent some long form applications of all of the insurers that that agent represents for whatever type of insurance one desired.  Check to see if the insurer "asks the question".  I.e., see if climbing is listed on the list of hazardous avocations.  If they all have it on the list, try another agent.  I know that there are still companies out there that don't regard climbing as such.  And, as long as they don't ask, you aren't breaking the law by not telling them that you are a climber.

And Al, don't forget to purge your forum archives; or, better yet, obtain a new life insurance policy.

Hugs and kisses and gobble gobble,
will

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 07:42:33 PM »

Will

actually the 5.1+ was a typo on my part. <sigh> i actually told them 5.10. great info tho...

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Will_Mayo

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 09:06:12 PM »

Ha, ha, ha....good one Al!  Thanks for the opportunity for me to tune up the good old paranoid insurance logic side of my brain.  Now, back to gutter belay talk.....happy thanksgiving!

will
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 23 queries.