Author Topic: Lowe Balls  (Read 360 times)

Offline dogboy

• NEClimbs Moderator
  • NEClimbs God
  • What?
Lowe Balls
« on: August 23, 2001, 01:30:10 PM »
Anybody have any experience using Lowe Balls?  Are they worth having?  And what do they do differently than small aliens, etc?
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Offline JAY

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Lowe Balls
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2001, 09:57:22 AM »
they sort of stink in my opinion, if you have a perfect placement for them, then i would consider them marginal, but it takes such a particular placement for them to work, where small nuts or a small alien is much better. just my opinion
jay

Offline dogboy

• NEClimbs Moderator
  • NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2001, 01:38:19 PM »
Thanks for the info--I've never used them, so I was curious to hear what people who had actually thought....different people like different things, too...some people (like myself) love tricams, and other hate 'em....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2001, 01:41:09 PM by jeffc »
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Offline pmaresca

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2001, 07:30:18 AM »
I have a set of 3, used them for years for both aid and free climbing, won't leave the ground without them, I believe they have special powers.  They fit nicely into small parallel cracks that nuts or cams won't. You just have to be careful about there placement and give them a good test pull.    

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2001, 10:05:52 AM »
I wouldn't expect them to take a real fall, but for body weight they are great. still, there are times when you just need something for your head. <grin>
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline Dan_Kilburn

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2002, 01:08:59 PM »
I've found that they tend to pull out when placed in parallel cracks.  It seems to me that the crack needs to constrict enough, that a soldered offset nut will do the job better.  I feel a little better about placing the lowe balls in horizontal placements, but not a lot.

I do like them for aid though.  Since you can test them (they do often fail the bounce test) at least you know a little more about the placement.

Dan
Use your head, climb safe!

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2002, 06:43:04 AM »
For anyone who doubting that Lowe balls can hold a fall in a parallel crack I can suggest to look in the crack half way up Loose Lips :) A friend took a 25' fall on it and the piece is still there. It dug itself into the rock building a quarter inch long track in the granite, but it stayed in, and I,m afraid will stay in there for future generations. I ripped the cables apart trying to pull it out.
My opinion about this gear is that it's good for a very specific purpose where other gear is pain to place. However, it's also pain to clean and if fallen onto is almost always lost. It's smaller then a smallest alien too.
-om