NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega ice screws  (Read 193 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Omega ice screws
« on: December 26, 2001, 02:26:28 PM »

has anyone tried the new Omega ice screws? the ones with the clamp on crank? they are a lot cheaper than BD Express screws. I'm wondering how sharp they stay & if people find that the non-folding crank gets in the way.

inquiring minds...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

dogboy

• NEClimbs Moderator
  • NEClimbs God
  • What?
Re: Omega ice screws
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2001, 07:55:20 AM »

Hey Al-
I bought one this year specifically to see how they work.  I'll let you know, when I finally get out on ice this weekend!
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

SherpaJim

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2002, 11:16:11 AM »

#@%#*&! cheap junk!  I HATE cheap gear (poorly made, not inexpensive gear).

Seems like a good idea but Omega (formerly Smiley's) took the cheap route and used junk metal for the knob components.  I HAD 3 of them.  Two knobs snapped off on two different ocassions. The junk metal fractured and the parts just fell away into the abyss!  The other one vibrated apart over time.  The set screw in the bottom kept getting loose (it's a two part gizmo) and one day just fell off and I lost the piece in the snow. I was afraid to overtighten the set screw, fearing I'd fracture the threaded tube.

If Omega can make the threaded tube out of stronger metal and find a way to keep the set screw in place, well they would have a good product.

- Jim

>:(

dogboy

• NEClimbs Moderator
  • NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2002, 01:21:37 PM »

The handle is definitely made of cheap metal, but the screw/hanger seem to be fine.  I disassembled the handle on the one screw I have, and put some blue loctite on the threads and reassembled it.  That way you don't have to overtighten the bolt in order to keep the thing together.  I've only used the screw once, so I can't really say how it will hold up, but it went in nicely, and the handle worked as well as the handles on my BD express screws.  I talked to a guy at IME who used 'em, and he said that as long as you loctite the handles together, they work fine...he had a couple and used 'em all last year....we'll see as I get more of a chance to use the one I have.
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 23 queries.