Author Topic: Give me the finger  (Read 306 times)

Offline cklein

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Give me the finger
« on: December 09, 2003, 06:20:45 PM »
I think I popped a tendon in my finger climbing at the gym today.  I was pulling on a two finger pocket and then my middle finger made a cracking/pop noise, followed by pain on the bottom side between the two largest nuckles.  Do any of you fellow climbers have recomendations on how to nurse this injury?  Or know of any preventative procedures for the future?  Thanks for the info.          

Edge

Re: Give me the finger
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 05:26:10 AM »
Here's a great link that I have found about hand & finger injuries.  I hope you can glean some useful information from it.

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/05may/jebson.htm

Good luck with the recovery, those things never heal fast enough for a climber...

mccallew

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 06:09:53 AM »
cklein:

From your description, it sounds like a rupture of the A2 pulley tendon. If you heard an audible "pop" it is a serious one. Is there any "bowstringing" between the nuckles? If it was a full tear you would see this. I, unfortunately, suffered the same injury 2 years ago at the New. You MUST stay off the injury. Do not try to climb through it or it runs the risk of being cronic. Try to avoid any stress whatsoever on the finger... I would recommend splinting it and seeing a doctor. Regardless, if the injury is an A2, you're done for the winter.

Check out Eric Horst's Training for Climbing for more climbing related details of such injuries.

e.

Offline cklein

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 04:03:07 PM »
Thanks for the posts.