Author Topic: Cold feet  (Read 1196 times)

Offline jls

• NEClimbs Newbie
Cold feet
« on: February 01, 2010, 10:00:16 am »
Just started having to take an aspirin daily (325mg) and for the past couple of times out climbing my feet have not been frozen, they are always numb at some point when I head out and Saturday was a pretty   cold day for me not to freeze up. So I wonder if it is the aspirin or is it just a coincidence? Anyone else ever notice this or want to try it and report back?

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Cold feet
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:15:16 am »
a 325 shouldn't thin ya out that much. You are doing Aspirin therapy I assume ? How were your hands ? You can do lower dose 100mg as well, but talk to the Doc

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:19:08 am »
I've been taking the baby aspirin daily for the past 6 years and not noticed any change in my circulation. 325 are regular strength, yes? not sure how it could negatively affect you in that way. of course all folks are different AND I don't know why you would be taking a full strength aspirin daily.

that said Friday & Saturday both were very cold. I don't usually use toe warmers but did so when guiding on Friday and was happy to have them.
Al Hospers

Offline epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:44:41 am »
It could be a product of ill fitting boots or too tight a lace-up. Try loosening up your laces a bit to allow circulation back into your feet. Try different socks. Use the footwarmer method.

IMHO.

Offline jls

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:45:27 am »
My boots are fine, my toes got a case of frost nip many years ago and they are always numb even in the summer. Hands were fine and I have to take a full dose of the aspirin(doc orders). Just thought the thinning effect of it might be a positive effect.

Rocket J.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »
I do believe it does help circulation especially in the capillaries.

On the other hand, if you start to bleed for any reason, it may be that much more difficult to stop.
I'd say to make a test before heading out, but just bring the crazy glue on the offchance.

Offline MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:22:56 pm »
Considering how aspirin works, it's unlikely that it's mitigating the cold-induced vasoconstriction that really causes frost nip/bite. If you can't figure out any other change that you've made to help your feet (ie, loosening your boots, etc), I'd chalk it up to a placebo effect. Cutaneous blood flow is definitely affected by psychological factors and, thererfore, ripe for such an effect.

Of course, if your feet felt better, who cares how it worked. Aspirin is relatively safe in the large majority of folks, just don't overdue it.

Good luck keeping your toes.

Mike

Offline slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 06:15:53 pm »
hey you sound like a doctor ;D
bailing is not failing!!!

Offline epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:07:40 pm »
Something we used to do on long ski tours while I was in Japan was to rub copious amounts of Cayenne pepper on our feet before putting our socks and boots on. No bullshit, it worked.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:42:21 pm »
Some one told me that my feet would be warmer if I wore socks, but Now the piggies are just about numb all the time. I guess the Mega's 6,5 with a street 10 may have been a problem.
You'll live and it;s still a good excuse to drink more.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 10:33:51 am »
yeah, drink more; might as well just be numb all over :P  Jeff

Offline jls

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 10:06:13 pm »
Even though my original post was not looking for a cure to cold feet I think I like the suggestions, so...more drinking it is!

Offline Vega

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 12:09:08 pm »
I think it has more to do with your shoes and your lacing. Also if you wear socks and you normally don't wear socks, your shoes are probably going to be really tight and cut off your circulation making your feet cold. If your shoes are new, it could be that you are starting to wear them in and make them form to your feet and make them less cold.
Vega Sinclair, Medical Insurance Advisor

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 12:15:35 pm »
ice boot related...
Jon Howard

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »