Author Topic: Dartmouth Dart  (Read 1208 times)

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Dartmouth Dart
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:05:51 pm »
Anyone happen to see the copter today in Crawford notch? We were climbing on Willard (around noon-time) when we saw it flying low (south) through the notch. Anyone know if there was a rescue or injury today?  :-[
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline richslezak

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Dartmouth Dart
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:06:08 am »
I saw a chopper last year after I toped out Landslide gully. I was on top and heard the whop whop whop of the chopper. At this point there were two more climbers at the summit and all of us were looking up but didn't see a thing. Then I looked down and saw a chopper flying low in the notch. Looked like a military chopper doing a survey maybe? No emergency crews or any signs that would point to a rescue. Either or seeing a chopper flying low while you are way up there is a surreal vision indeed.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:10:18 am »
Yah...bumped into Bayard at the Frontside Grind and he saw the same chopper roughly at the same time further down the notch as he and his parter we up on Webster. My father in law was at Attitash and saw the same chopper moments behind Bayard...so it sounds like they were just running manuvers. From where we were, we saw the chopper buzz around the corner and we assumed that they may have been headed for Franky....fortunately not. Seems like the weekend went off without a bad injury! Fantastic!!! and Amazing...
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 01:47:27 pm »
I've always enjoyed those moments while climbing in the mountains where a fixed-wing or rotary aircract comes flying by and I have the joy of looking down upon them. You can get some really memorable moments in the Sierras when the Air Force, Marines, and Navy are running war games. I got to look down on two F-18s a couple summers ago as they went screaming through the Mt. Whitney area. Cargo aircraft are enjoyable, since they tend to move slower.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:55:26 pm »
I agree!

The A-10 Warthogs were out all morning as well and flew right over the top of the cliff...pretty awesome sight. Those things are amazing!!

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 01:59:06 pm »
One time years ago- 2 f-111's flying BELOW the last pitch of the Prow. I shit you not ! Pretty slow, wings all the way foward. Never saw them again, prolly based out of Pease at the time.
hayes range , alaska around '93. We are thrashing around on the glacier and I see a ... A????? . Turns out to be a f-117, the first stealth plane around. I didn't know What the hell it was !!!!

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »
How great would that be to jump into one of those for a day at the office?!?! :)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 02:04:52 pm »
out near me we got V-22 Osprey's. Make ton of noise 'cause they can take off and land like a helo. The wings rotate too. Only problem is they are the most dangerous aircraft in the military and have had like 40 crashes.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 02:19:34 pm »
Only problem is they are the most dangerous aircraft in the military and have had like 40 crashes.

Oh shit... :o

Offline bag11s

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 08:49:05 pm »
I've seen both F-111's and Warthogs on different occasions fying down Franconia Notch and way down below me while climbing on Cannon. Also Andy Tuthill flying home after free soloing Moby Grape.