NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Black and Bruised toenail  (Read 666 times)

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Black and Bruised toenail
« on: February 07, 2010, 09:19:33 AM »

I returned from a full day yesterday on Willard (very cold), and after my feet started thawing out I discovered a throb in my right big toe. I didn't pay much attention to it and chalked it up to the thaw process. After about an hour, the pain grew worse and it was time to peel off the socks and check out the damage. The toenail is bright purple and black and vey sensitive to the touch...tons of pressure under the nail. I had to bag out on my partner this morning due to the discomfort. I have never had an issue with my boots and am on my third season with the new Nepals.

Am I going to lose the nail, is there a way to treat this? Any suggestions???  :-\

Thanks
Grammy
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

little lil

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Black and Bruised toenail
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »

Ouch!  I'm not a doc and asking your PCP is prob the best way to get professional input but here's what I know about this.  My BF had the very same thing happening to him (also with the Nepals).  There is no real treatment but tough it out and wait for the new nail to grow.  Make sure to keep the nail nice and clean to avoid any infections on top of it. 
How did that happen?  Do you think your nails were a little too long?  Anyways, have a speedy recovery!
Lilly V.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »

Make sure to keep the nail nice and clean to avoid any infections on top of it. 
How did that happen?  Do you think your nails were a little too long?  Anyways, have a speedy recovery!

Hey Lil!

Yes..I think that the nail was too long ( :-[ ) but I suppose that coupled with the cold...I sealed my fate. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the nail with a drill bit or knife end to aleviate the pressure would feel good...but not sure if that is a good idea with infection, etc...

I still may do it though...
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

little lil

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:02:35 AM »

you can burn a hole thru the nail (with a cautery) and drain the blood.  but rather go and see your PCP for that. 
Lilly V.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »

you can burn a hole thru the nail (with a cautery) and drain the blood.  but rather go and see your PCP for that. 

Yah...I should probably see my PCP. I have both my young daughters today...so I will have to wait to go this week. The pressure is really uncomfortable!!! And I am suoposed to go out this wednesday to climb too! Nuts.... :P

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »

grab a bottle, put on the Big Game and when Peyton starts cryin'- rip your nail off with a BD Cobra ! Tape up- drink more

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:05:17 PM »

grab a bottle, put on the Big Game and when Peyton starts cryin'- rip your nail off with a BD Cobra ! Tape up- drink more

Hahahahaah....best advice all day. I will eat the toe nail if the Colts win... :-X

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »

wITH HOT SAUCE

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:36:42 PM »

A little Louisiana Cajun "Jum-Toe-Laya"

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »

Grammy
I could be wrong but what you describe is the beginning of frost bite under the cuticle. The blood pools and freezes at the surface which will look like bruising(I have seen this before). Depending on how bad it is you can lose the toenail. Be diligent in watching it for a while as it will freeze again and damage more tissue. It takes a while before it will tolerate the cold as well as before and in some cases it remains sensitive for life. Best to get professional advice if you plan to go out soon.
Sorry to here about your mishap and pain.

David

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »

Hey there Dave!

You could be right, but the feet never got that cold...a little numb, but certainly not as bed as I have felt before. We were stuck on a small belay ledge for roughly an hour waiting for our third...I may have cut off some circulation to the toes, but I tried to change my stance and position as much as I could. SEems to be purple on the lower right side under the cuticle and almost splits the toe in half lengthwise...(greyish is color). The feels like there is pressure under the nail...hurts to the touch.

Grammy  :-\

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »

Just did some research on this subject and found a condition common in long distance runners called "runner's toe". Pretty original..however, the picture looks exactly like my condition:

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »

Looks yummy ! A little sauce and maybe some garnish. It's even better when the other toes look like corn chips !!!!

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 06:20:45 PM »

:D

Maybe a little peanut butter and Toe Jam??!!?

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »

Or TOE CRACK ! I am building an outdoor adobe oven in the spring, I bet toe would be good baked
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.