NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Black and Bruised toenail  (Read 599 times)

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Re: Black and Bruised toenail
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »

Hey John....plenty of reason to raise a glass tonight!!! Looks like no toenail alla carte tonight!! GO SAINTS!!!!!  :D
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »

Just before the KEY play of the 4th quarter, my lovely wife Kathy started saying: "C'mon, interception NOW" and lo and behold, a 60yd interception for a Saints TD!!! What a gal!!

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »

Jeff...please thank your psychic wife for us all!
Been getting out on any ice this season?
~g
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »

Just before the KEY play of the 4th quarter, my lovely wife Kathy started saying: "C'mon, interception NOW" and lo and behold, a 60yd interception for a Saints TD!!! What a gal!!

But what does Kathy say about the toe ?

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »

Ha...nice job. I hope you haven't drilled in yet...because don't. You're inviting infection if you do and you have enough trouble. If you have drilled fill the hole with superglue from a new bottle. It dose'nt sound like frost bite to me because none of the other tissue is involved..or you just could have been lucky. Runners toe is cause by downward pressure to the toe that causes bleeding under the nail. You can also get it from kicking the toes. Boot fit and lace tension etc can make it more likely. I think you're right and you do have "runners toe". For treatment seek out a podaitrist who can drain it for you correctly and prevent infection. You do need to treat this because the pool of old blood is a breeding ground for infection and your bone is right there...not a good spot to get infected. Also once the blood is gone so is most of the pain. For now coat the toe with bacatracin and get to a doc. Good luck !
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »

Thanks ELM!

Yah...it seems to fit the description of runner's toe and that is how I am treating it. It feels better this morning, I have my shoes off at work today..the tissue surrounding the nail is fine as  you mentioned. Now that the color is consolodating, I can see that it originates from the base of the nail and goes out from there. I have not yet drilled...lol!

I am sure the nail will be gone in a few weeks, but I will keep my eye on it!

Thanks for the advice!
Grammy

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »

DRILL IT !!!!!!  I would say prolly not 3/8" I would dig out an old 1/4". But then glue like ELM says.
On second thought maybe a bathook.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 11:17:54 AM »

I was thinking more like a 1/2" bit and a "hole-hog" and just getting after it!!! Then I could just stuff a cork in the hole until it heals... ;D

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 11:52:32 AM »

Be sure to countersink any hole you drill-- then fill with plastic wood, and repaint in  your favorite color, or perhaps add decals ::).

Chris, in answer to your question, I've only been out on ice a couple of times so far, both guiding and for fun-- been very busy teaching skiing, but hope to get out more soon. I have thanked Kathy for her coaching of the Saints defense.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 12:03:11 PM »

How about a KB to split the nail in half ? Shit I'm gettin ready to work on my own toes ! I dug out a small bone chip from my ankle this past summer. It just was too tempting . About 2-3mm but sure seemd bigger when it was in there.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »

All this talk is making me hungry... ;D

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »

yo Grammy, You got the same exact thing I got about six weeks ago,except I did it to both toes. After about a week the pain will go away and it will just be ugly. A few weeks after that you will feel pressure again and the nail will start to delaminate and seperate at the cuticle. It seems to be no big deal and should not get in the way of climbing, although I found walking in any shoes that crease at the cuticle really hurt. I got mine from a pair of Napals that were to small. Also, I had my Doc look at them and she just laughed and said I was gonna loose the nail. I did find a little Arnica rub helped for the first week. Call me if you want some more info, I hope this helps.    Mike

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »

Thanks Mike!
Great seeing you at Cranmore Friday night. Let's get together.
Grammy  ;)

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 02:15:31 PM »

I was thinking of a 1" hole saw...anyway. Do make sure to keep it clean and coat it with Bacatracin or Bactroban 2 times a day; even afthe the nail comes off until it looks good. Remember to buy a nice chain to hang the nail from...I can hear it now: "I lost this nail when I ..."...or maybe have it bronzed. Do they still do that ?
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 02:21:17 PM »

Hahahah...I was thinking of glitter and a gold thread as it would be a welcome addition to the Christmas Tree...I wonder if I should run that one by my wife first though... :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 23 queries.