Author Topic: xc skiing  (Read 255 times)

Offline bluesnpolitics

• NEClimbs Full Member
xc skiing
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:31:54 PM »
Have been stuck in boston most of the winter and heading to Katahdin in a month. On thursday a friend and I are going to ski in the morn and probably pump out at the north end (if there is anything there) or the flume at dark. I don't know the ski trails very well up there, but I checked out the Jackson ski website which is great, but in this day of internet forums, I decided I could do better!

If anyone has good advice for long and moderate trails or moderately long and grueling trails in the whites I'll take it. we will probably be dragging sleds for some extra fun, so I'd rather not hit any trails that require 1/2 mile walks to link them up. let me know your favourites.

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
Re: xc skiing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:39:44 PM »
if there is any snow, park at frankie ski up to the highland center then turn around.
Jon Howard

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:07:04 PM »
as Jon said the RR tracks at Frankenstein is OK. however I suggest the Mount Clinton Road across from the Highland Center or Zealand Road just past Bretton Woods. there is more snow up there than on the tracks. I've done both several times this winter and liked them both.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:46:08 PM »
Park at BNR gate then go west on Nanoocumchuck trail then back Fr44. Good pump . Forget those pansy ass "trails "

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »
mt clinton road is a good one.  Also, by the covered bridge heading up past the painted walls.
Jon Howard

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »
Also, by the covered bridge heading up past the painted walls.

that's the Nanamucomuck...great skiing if there is still a snow cover. however you can't get across the covered bridge now from the Kanc, so you have to first ski up Passaconaway Road to the Covered bridge, about 1.2 miles.
Al Hospers

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
I always thought it would be cool to spot a car at Frankenstein and then drive up to the top of the notch and ski down, stopping on the way to climb Cinema, Willies, and then something at Frankenstein.

Then if you still got something left jump in the car and cross the road to bag Shoestring.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 03:37:02 PM »
I always thought it would be cool to spot a car at Frankenstein and then drive up to the top of the notch and ski down, stopping on the way to climb Cinema, Willies, and then something at Frankenstein.

done this on a full moon. pretty amazing...
Al Hospers

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
done this on a full moon. pretty amazing...

Al's mention of full-moon skiing instantly evoked memories (kinda forgotten) of my first year out of school, up in the NEK of VT.  That February the daytime temps never got above 0F and most nights were -20F or below.  The seatbelt of the work truck BROKE one morning, it was so stiff, and I often had to run a space heater slid under the engine block to get the truck to turn over (obviously no block heater built in) in the AM.  The dogs and I slept on a sofa 3 feet from the woodstove most of that winter.  I have pics of Hank and Kate standing on top of the snow banks along my short driveway and their FEET clear the top of the work truck by a good meter - lotta snow that year.
Anyway, I didn't climb then and was between alpine skiing periods, but I did find a pair of skinny xc skis and those slipperlike shoes and would go out most nights that winter, through the woods, across cow and horse pastures, probably by Grandmother's house for all I know.  It was pretty windless, as I remember, and even in February, it was beautiful to cover 5 or 10 miles, break a sweat, get lost and have to backtrack.  Moonlit nights made me braver, I'd go farther, try to stem-cristie the trees,  follow a little feeder brook as far as I could, whatever.  Blue shadows on the snow, deep black in the tree wells, coydogs barking away over the next rise.  Excellent time and space.

Kills me that I never took a camera on those trips, and that I didn't have a nice set of Outtabounds or something similar; I thinking it would have been even more fun.  Or maybe not?  Anyway, thanks for provoking the trip back in time, Al.

Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.