Author Topic: Rumney: getting closer to the league Cannon is in...  (Read 3143 times)

Offline epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
Rumney: getting closer to the league Cannon is in...
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:12:34 PM »
Seriously, with the recent rock fall and the sudden occurrence of trees falling down all over the place one could misconstrue that sport climbing is actually dangerous!  :P   I guess it's the amount of people there that always keeps your head on a swivel.

Today, while climbing Bolt Line and Beginners route I had the lovely experience of hearing the dead tree(s) right at the base creak and groan. It made me really nervous especially since it was in a light (real light) wind that this was happening in.

The tree(s) in question.

I noted that the tree on the right (if facing the cliff) had a new crack extending from the base up; and was able to observe this crack flex under the load. Who, if anyone, could/would fall this tree? It's right at the base of the cliff and if it were to go while people were there, there isn't anywhere really to take cover since it's in a corridor of sorts?

The crack, with my partner in the background for size reference.

A group of us were talking about it in the parking lot before we left for the day; and I started the discussion with one of the more prominent locals about who could/would come in and remove the dead tree(s).

Anyone?

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Rumney: getting closer to the league Cannon is in...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:47 AM »
aren't the NH forest people a part of Rumney?
Al Hospers

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:30:17 AM »
I'm thinking you could just add an R or X to all routes in the 'kill' zone and let people enjoy the new commitment factor  ;D.

Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:06:40 AM »
Try giving the forest service a call and explain where it is and how a lot of people hang out in that area. In the past, Rumney community members have occasionally cut something out when it looked dangerous, but that is really the job of the Forest Service and I am sure they would prefer one of their crew did it. They have usually been pretty good about sending a crew right out if something is pointed out to them
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »
Mark do you have a contact # to get a hold of someone that could arrange that?   I thought for sure i would see that tree down as it was in similar shape 2 weekends ago and this weekend it was making as much noise in far less wind.   

In other news..  Thanks so much to whoever was part of the new rock stairs and tree cutting/removal at the main cliff base.  For such a short period of time it looks really good  and can easily be improved on now. 

and finally I swapped out the biner on the 2nd bolt of Orangahang  but someone mentioned a draw up higher on it that might need replacing also.  so if anyone is getting on that soon and has a spare wire or bent gate to throw on there it might be good to bring with you.  (the quick links on Lies and Propaganda also look like this :(  stupid people TRing off gear)
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »
I don't have a specific person to contact at this point. They seem to change positions pretty often, so the names are always changing. If you google the WMNF offices, you should be able to find a ranger office near Rumney. I'm not sure if the Holderness one is still up to date or if they moved most of the office operations to another building. Anyway, just try a couple of those numbers. They are usually pretty friendly and will direct you to the right person.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »
... someone mentioned a draw up higher on it that might need replacing also.  so if anyone is getting on that soon and has a spare wire or bent gate to throw on there it might be good to bring with you. 
Thanks, Jake, for the biner.
Question: for this higher draw, is it runner & biner or just biner that needs replacing?

-Soon

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »
I think Hannah said it was draw and biner

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »
they just mentioned the biner.  didn't mention anything about the runner.  I was going for the RP so when i failed i just quit at the 5th bolt or whatever and didn't bother doing the top so i didn't see.  

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 01:04:04 PM »
OK, thanks Mark and Jake.  I'll ask Hannah the next time I see her.

Oh, Jake, wishing you a quick send of the route.

-S

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »
It should have gone down the burn before when i was fresh but i got crossed up and flamed out fixing it. 

I emailed Kori from the forest service  listed under the Rumney trail project to see who would need to be contacted.  we'll see what they say

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »
Sweet.  Kori  has contacted some people who deal with hazardous trees.   If someone in the area could flag it with some ribbon that would be helpful they said.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »
Thanks Jake. Good work.. Kori is a good one to talk to. She friendly and on the ball.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
Ya,  I gave her the topo map that Lee H made last year of the meadows area and some other directions to the tree.  hopefully Jay or Lee or someone that lives near by  can flag it for them so it's obvious.  not that the loud creaking sound and hollow base doesn't give it away. 

Offline epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 04:54:15 PM »
Ya,  I gave her the topo map that Lee H made last year of the meadows area and some other directions to the tree.  hopefully Jay or Lee or someone that lives near by  can flag it for them so it's obvious.  not that the loud creaking sound and hollow base doesn't give it away. 
Good work Jake.