Author Topic: Rumney Rockfall?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Rumney Rockfall?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 03:53:52 pm »
Thanks Mark, I was pretty amazed this past weekend when I saw the destruction at the bottom of the main cliff. The pictures don't give you a clue at all! All I could think of was what would have happened if there had been 10-15 people hanging out there on a busy day.

Offline Whitey

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 06:56:10 pm »
Just wanted to thank you Mark for your efforts. It's a good thing when people step up and do a public service. Major rain coming Monday overnight will hopefully not cause more problems.   

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 07:17:46 pm »

Mark, add my thanks to everyone else's.  Very generous and considerate of you.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline Lanky

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 04:02:45 pm »
I'm late to the party, but add my thanks to the chorus. I really appreciate the hard work, Mark.

Offline little lil

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 06:51:03 pm »
Yeah, thanks a lot for the update and cleaning up!  It's very much appreciated!
Lilly V.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 06:58:35 pm »
AH ! Only in NE- a dangerous sport area. Ten bolts, but the anchor may rip, NICE. Maybe sport and trad will come together after all.

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 07:41:02 pm »
AH ! Only in NE- a dangerous sport area.

Owens River is still the only sport area I ever got beaned at.  Back in the 90's, the central way up and down to the Gorge is this tall scree field which was very loose at places.  One morning, after we were almost all the way down, a party high up above us started knocking stuff off, some big but mostly small.  Needless to say, we sprinted the rest of the way but not before a small rock nicked me above one ear.  No blood but it did hurt.

I have been told there is now a much safer and stable central way down.

Back then, people also had reasons to view anchors at Owens with suspicion.  By the third day, we were almost reduced to drawing sticks to see who 'gets' to rap off the anchors.  I've also heard that most route there now have good anchors.  I've not been back since that trip in the 90's.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ