Author Topic: Rumney: getting closer to the league Cannon is in...  (Read 3148 times)

Offline jlecours

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Rumney: getting closer to the league Cannon is in...
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:42 PM »
I saw both of them flagged on Sunday evening.

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 11:35:59 PM »
Yea.  i'll add thanks over here too   to Matt  for flagging the trees for us.   Still no word from Kori  about when they can get to cutting them down. 
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »
Woo!  tree's are down safely  :)     Major kudos to Kori for getting guys out there quick.

"Jake,

We checked out the trees on Monday and a couple folks went out and took them down yesterday.  I haven't seen what they did, but hopefully all your concerns should be taken care of.  They had to take them both down due to the lean of the nastier one and limited felling options.  It was probably a safer bet for the long term anyway, as the other one definitely showed lots of signs of rot at the base and would need to come down at some point.

Thanks so much for contacting us--we try to be responsive to such things as quickly as possible, though it may not always seem that way! 

Happy and safe climbing...

Kori"

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 09:48:09 AM »
Well, maybe we can get ALL the "bad" trees in the WMNF cut down  ::) And then pave the trails and bolt all the anchors and " fix" all the run out routes.

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 10:20:36 AM »
Well, maybe we can get ALL the "bad" trees in the WMNF cut down  ::) And then pave the trails and bolt all the anchors and " fix" all the run out routes.

i know you're joking  but  these trees were leaning over the base of about 12 routes and the trail connecting them.. so i don't see the problem in them taking them down.   I have a few arborist friends i could have called if they had put up a fight about not wanting to do it themselves.

not really sure where your problem with it is. 

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »
Just bustin' J. Lots of trees have been cut down in the past throughout NE to do f/a's, which is BS. Cutting down dangerous trees is a good idea I think.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
I DO wonder what the situation would be if these trees were at another crag ? ??? Can you cut down a tree at Rumney but not Owl's ? Or Cannon or...... ?

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 10:40:55 AM »
What is BS about cutting trees down for FA's trails etc. ? If you use the wood to build trails or for firewood its fine in my book. We have pleanty of trees here in the NE and they get cut for lots of reasons. New routing is just as good a reason ans any  8)

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »
John, Rumny is a climbing park. Even has a nice wooden sign out front that says climbing park on it. there have been a few serious injurys from falling trees so it is in the parks best intrest to  take care of that stuff. For what it's worth I pegged the tree at the top of the climb just right of breakfast wall as a widow maker years before it fell and messed some folks up. It never occured to me that you could just tell the forest service  it was dangerous and that they would remove it. It is probable that had they been notified of a dangerous tree before the accidents they would not have acted on the report.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »
I agree that lots of trees get cut for lots of reasons. I think my conflict comes from WHO cuts them down. Saco crag had a ton of trees downed for no apparent reason other than to "make the cliff dry faster", now that's BS IMO. South Butt- similar.

Refuse tree, partially cut and nearly killed people.

Yet it is illegal to cut trees or vegatation to create trails in the WMNF. Though the AMC can have huts in wilderness areas, no fixed hardware  ::)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »
John, Rumny is a climbing park. Even has a nice wooden sign out front that says climbing park on it. there have been a few serious injurys from falling trees so it is in the parks best intrest to  take care of that stuff. For what it's worth I pegged the tree at the top of the climb just right of breakfast wall as a widow maker years before it fell and messed some folks up. It never occured to me that you could just tell the forest service  it was dangerous and that they would remove it. It is probable that had they been notified of a dangerous tree before the accidents they would not have acted on the report.

I know but when will other areas become "parks" ?

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »
Well "we" didn't cut anything,  I contacted the forest service to eliminate any issues  so they cut them down.

i am curious what they can do with the wood. it would be nice if some of it got used for trail breaks and stuff.   The base area under  Shealyns way, Cloes breakfast special etc  needs something done where that tree fell last year  to have it not be a mud puddle all year round.  

Trad i would hope that they would have acted even without prior accidents.   I dunno what you mean about the climbing park.   the sign says national forest day use area.    Maybe you guys have a  crappy liaison you contact for your area but Mark said that Kori has been really helpful for the Rumney area,  i'm guessing they had a lot of contact for the new trails and guidebook information.  

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »
I thought the sign right next to the parking lot used to say. Rumny Rocks climbing park? But i could be wrong. either way it certainly implys that it is a climbing park.  You pay a fee to park and climb. There are maintained trails and hundreds of maintained climbing routs and an official sighn proclaiming it a climbing day use area. It is a climbing park.  That is a good thing INMOP

John, whats wrong with cutting trees to help cliffs dry faster?  ;D Do you really like wet slimy shady black fly infested moss fests ::)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 08:24:25 PM »
i think we do enough modification as it is. I also think that " climbing pArks" are shit

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
The c limbing park keeps a lot of the riff raff away from cannon etc.