Author Topic: 13 year old nears Everest's summit  (Read 2078 times)

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: 13 year old nears Everest's summit
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
No one is denying that its a fixed conga line to the summit. thing is folks still get sick, frozen and dead up there with stunning regularity. Brining your kid there seems messed up to me. Most other types of climbing have risk but it usually seems managable. The high altitude stuff just seems so random as to who gets the chop and how often it happens. Even with all the guided success on everest you still stand something like a one in 10 chance of getting the chop if you make it to the summit. K2 on the other hand is really crazy. 4 in 10 chance of getting chopped if you summit. 

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 06:54:07 AM »
who is he being guided by, anyone know? I didn't see that...
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 07:01:21 AM »
I was not saying that he is guided? No idea on that one.

Offline adamiata

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 07:46:48 AM »
Is anyone on the South Col not guided anymore?
How do you afford your rock'n'roll lifestyle?

dpen

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 08:33:08 AM »
I think the kid et al are going up the north col....not that it really matters.....so the guide is probably Russell Bryce for a new episode of his loony reality show about climbing Everest.   It was on 1-2 years ago??  Anyone see it? 

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 09:08:46 AM »
Yep...I saw that one...pretty corny IMHO  :-\

You coming up this weekend DPen?
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 09:10:13 AM »
The kid is climbing with his Dad and his Dad's girlfriend. Not sure if he is being guided?? Good question... ???
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

meclimber

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »
I think it was mentioned that he was in that outside article, one of you web types should find it and link it. 

sneoh

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »

This somewhat random post I happened upon mentioned three sherpas but not guide(s).
http://www.wvva.com/global/story.asp?s=12261419

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
"The trio's Everest expedition is costing $150,000. Jordan, his father and Lundgren will be making the ascent with three sherpas."

from the previous link.
Al Hospers

bluesnpolitics

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
not to be a downer, but this is hardly news worthy and definitely not climbing news worthy. this is a 13yo who is not leading the trip and not paying for it himself. I'm sure he'll get the hottest girl at the freshmen semi-formal, and he deserves that, but not much more. If I run into him I'll shake his hand, but the difference between this kid and any other healthy 13yo with a desire for success is wealthy parents. good for him.
I hope I'm not being too much of a dick. I probably couldn't make it up Everest.

WanderlustMD

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
not to be a downer, but this is hardly news worthy and definitely not climbing news worthy. this is a 13yo who is not leading the trip and not paying for it himself. I'm sure he'll get the hottest girl at the freshmen semi-formal, and he deserves that, but not much more. If I run into him I'll shake his hand, but the difference between this kid and any other healthy 13yo with a desire for success is wealthy parents. good for him.
I hope I'm not being too much of a dick. I probably couldn't make it up Everest.
You have a point with the economics thing, but there's a big difference between the drive of this kid and normal 13 year-olds. Typical kids his age can barely finish their homework, let alone commit to a training program tough enough to give them a remot shot at Everest (most adults can't even do that). Nevermind the fact that he's already climbed a few other big peaks.

Not saying he's the messiah, but credit where credit is due. The guided/non-guided issue, as well as his age, are different topics entirely

MAmedic

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »
"The trio's Everest expedition is costing $150,000.

from the previous link.

I guess this is the logical progression for a kid from asking for a pony for a birthday.  it must be nice to have $150000 for a VACATION budget

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 12:28:43 AM »
Not saying he's the messiah, but credit where credit is due. The guided/non-guided issue, as well as his age, are different topics entirely

i'm with you. C'mon, kid has a great goal and willing to work for it. I don't care if he summits or not, hope he has a good and safe  expirience.

Meantime I can't make my 5 year old tie in to the rope, tragic... nor she wants to ride her pony...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:30:22 AM by om »
-om

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 08:18:11 AM »
I agree that the kid has a good attitude and motovation. Just think it might be a good idea to stick to smaller/ safer mountains untill his brain develops a bit more. Its a proven fact that teenagers make lousy decisions.  Everest is not going anywhere and he has his whole life ahead of him.