Author Topic: Thank you and request  (Read 1164 times)

Offline wjtaffe

• NEClimbs Newbie
Thank you and request
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:35 pm »
First, I'd like to thank all the climbers who assisted with the "carry out" of the climber who was hit by a falling rock in the Hinterlands area of Rumney's Rattlesnake Mtn. on Saturday, May 22.   Your assistance in carrying the Stokes litter, and in setting belays through the steep sections is enormously appreciated.  Because of the terrain, it takes many people to safely hand the litter through the steep sections, and even though we request "reinforcements" from EMS and Rescue Squads from neighboring towns, such an incident stretches the human resources of small town, volunteer EMS and rescue squads.  The assistance and cooperation of the climbing community is very much appreciated.

Second, I have a request.  When we place an injured person on a backboard, or in a Stokes litter, we use webbing to keep them firmly attached to the board or litter.  However, when we go down steep slopes, the board or litter is placed at a very steep angle and the person tends to slide downward toward the bottom of the litter.   Tightening the straps more isn't an option - we don't to hinder breathing or worsen injuries. However a climbing harness and slings could serve the purpose. The harness could be attached with slings to the upper/top of the metal frame of the Stokes litter and it would keep the injured climber from sliding down on the board or litter as we hand it down through the steep sections.  It would be natural support and not hamper breathing.    Before going out and buying the equipment, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has a simple harness, and/or some slings that are no longer being used, that they'd be willing to donate to Rumney EMS for use in these situations.  If you do, we'd very much appreciate the donation.   You can contact me at RumneyEMS@gmail.com, at the Fire/EMS Station (603)786-9924, or at my home (603)786-2553.   Many thanks for considering the request.

Bill Taffe, NREMT-I
Director, Rumney EMS

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: Thank you and request
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:58:59 pm »
Bill, I am sure lots of people would be glad to help out.
Is there a secure place for people to drop off slings and harness(es) during the weekend?

-sneoh

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:20:13 pm »
One with fully adjustable leg loops would be best so they can be put on without having to manipulate the legs as much.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. – John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:34:57 pm »
I really wish the Forest service would either get on the ball and fix up the trail leading down from the Hinterlands or let us at the RCA do the work. It has been years since they asked us to hold off and nothing has been done up there. It just keeps getting more eroded and difficult for rescues. If the old trail from the base of The Prudential over to Northwest territories and down was recut it would be a little longer but much less technical coming down too.

Bill, thanks for all the service your team has provided us climbers over the years. If you ever need somebody who is very familiar with the hillside to walk you through the trails to get to know them well or do a monthly training hike up them, let me know. I can be contacted through this site as I check it often.

Mark Sprague
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. – John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline wjtaffe

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 03:53:33 pm »
The best place to drop off a harness and/or slings over the weekend would probably be at the Police Department which is between the Town Offices and  Fire Station on Depot St. in Rumney. There is more likelihood of someone being there than at the Fire/EMS station.   However, we only need one harness so it might be best to contact me first (and I could probably even meet someone).    And yes, a harness that would be easy to get on a person who has to stay lying flat, that we could put on with minimal movement of their body would be ideal.

Many thanks for the kind words.

Bill Taffe
RumneyEMS@gmail.com
(603)786-2553   (home)

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 03:59:51 pm »

I'll drop off slings I no longer have any use for (but still in fairly good shape). 
Do you need biners too?

I am not 100% sure I will make it to Rumney this weekend, however.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline wjtaffe

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 04:18:38 pm »
Yes, we could use a couple of biners too.  We generally rely on the climbers near the accident for expertise and equipment (ropes, biners and other gear) to set the belays on the litter in steep areas.  And they've always been gracious about doing so, but we could use a couple of biners to aid in getting things situated within the litter.  Thanks.

Bill

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 04:53:36 pm »
There might even be a harness specifically designed for that (fits all sizes, easy to put on etc.). If there are funds, I am sure the RCA would be more than happy to pay for one if needed.

The guys at IME in North Conway might be a good source of info. I'm sure they deal with this sort of situation.

- I just found one in my attic that I bought when I took my step dad climbing a few times. It might work well. It is an old style, but in new condition, with leg loops that can be undone in a way that the harness could be laid on the litter before placing the patient on top, then the leg loops brought up under the crotch and buckled. A locking pear shaped biner should be used for attaching the front of the leg loops to the belt. It is sized med, so might not work for a big person, but my dad has a bit of a belly and fit in it, lol.

I'll try to pop over and drop it off at the police station on my way up north. If I end up taking tomorrow off, as I hope, I can do it then
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:14:11 am by M_Sprague »
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:58:22 pm »
It sounds like a BD bod or Alpine bod harness would be the most adjustable. You can also put the harness on in such a way that there is no need to move legs etc.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:13:43 pm »
A climbing harness is a standard piece of equipment we pack with our litter on the Pemi Valley Search and Rescue Team.  It makes a huge difference in patient care and comfort.  It is important to have the adjustable leg loops and perhaps cut off all the gear loops (extra stuff not needed).  The tie in should be multi-directional (head and toe).  Have one of the Mountain Rescue Service guys come and help you train on the proper set up and equipment (contact Rick Wilcox at IME).
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

Offline smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 09:17:17 pm »
....oh, we also carry a helmet and face shield for the patient as well...but only use it when the situation demands it.
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

Offline wjtaffe

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 12:37:54 pm »
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.  We're still hoping for a donation of a climbing harness (of the type "smartpig" suggested) some slings and perhaps a couple of biners.

And thanks for the suggestion that I contact the Mtn. Rescue Service guys ... that would make a great training for our Squad.

Bill Taffe
Rumney EMS

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 01:00:25 pm »
Bill,
PM a mailing address and I'll dig through my stuff.  I can likely send you an alpine Bod harness (small) and certainly some lockers and slings. 

Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 05:31:21 pm »
I sent a harness along with somebody to drop off at the police station a few weeks ago. I guess they forgot. I'll check and see what happened to it. It was a size med, kind of old but in new condition, with adjustable leg loops
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 07:55:38 pm »

Bill,

I dropped off some slings and biners at the Fire/EMT Station today, at around 5pm.
There was no one at the Police Station so I left the stuff by the side entrance to the Fire/EMT Station.  I attached a piece of paper with your name on it to one of the biners.  I hope this stuff find its way to you.  Sorry about the delay; it was unintentional and it had not slipped my mind.

-SNeoh