Author Topic: Any tips for maintaining balance?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Any tips for maintaining balance?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 07:16:59 AM »
I hate to generalize but I have found that, on the average, women climber have better balance and control than their male counterpart at a comparable skill level.  If you can, climb with one or more female climbers who are better than you and learn what they are doing 'right'.  In climbing, 'climb like a girl' can actually be a good thing.

totally agree with this... read the Report this week. I learned so much from watching my wife climb. no, she can't lead 10+, but she floats up stuff even tho she rarely climbs more than once a year. balance, balance balance, footwork, footwork, footwork!
Al Hospers

Offline Old Mans Ghost

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 08:47:10 AM »
Who's the hot chick in the whiteis ??? ::)

Strand it's nice to know that beneath your type A crusty exterior lies a sensitive fellow just looking for some bromance.
I have a question? Who does number one work for.

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 09:06:06 AM »
John is one of the most sensitive people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

strandman

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 10:33:57 AM »
And Steve looks HOT (most of the time)

little lil

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »
I hate to generalize but I have found that, on the average, women climber have better balance and control than their male counterpart

B/c we don't build up muscles as easily and thus, need to find other ways to drag our asses up there.

meclimber

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 08:39:28 AM »
Less drugs and alcohol! It would be a shame, but if that's the sacrifice YOU want to make...

strandman

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »
Derek - Top Roping is the way to go.

Derek

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »
Everyone,

Thanx for all the help.  I am heading to rumney for vacation this week.  The plan is to climb as much as the Mrs. will let me get away with. ;D ;D ;D

Derek

Can anybody recommend a "must climb" for beginners?

sneoh

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 01:15:46 PM »
Can anybody recommend a "must climb" for beginners?

That would very much depend on who will be getting the rope to the top of the climbs (for you).
What level of difficulties do you lead and top-rope at?

Derek

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »
I haven't led any climbs yet.  I will be with a guide on Wednesday.  Friday with a friend.  Anything else, will have to be bouldering.

sneoh

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 10:56:44 PM »
I haven't led any climbs yet.  I will be with a guide on Wednesday.  Friday with a friend. 
The guide should be able to get you on the best climbs for you.  Ask him for recommendations at the end of the day for you and your friend to get on next.  Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 10:28:28 AM »
Tell the guide you would like them to lead up Granny's Route at the 5.8 crag  ;D
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait