NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: North Bald Cap: new route  (Read 3132 times)

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: North Bald Cap
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 12:12:44 PM »

Cool, thanx Jamie, I have been on Success Pond Road in years past for AT hiking so sounds like I'll figure it out.

Chuck or Jack when you say "There is a terrific free camping spot at the Success trailhead" does that mean the trailhead right from Success Pond Road?

way psyched, the whole setting up there looks great

Jack_Dorsey

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »

Last Sunday Bill Kieler and I went into North Baldcap and climbed October Sundae having the place to ourselves.

I'd suggest long pants for anyone heading in at this time because of rasberry bushes that have encroached upon the approach trail. The good thing was that the berries were a tasty treat. The bad thing was that the thorns tore up my bare legs.

The climbing was worth the cuts, but the approach would have been a lot less painful for me in long pants.

Jack

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »

Took  Chuck Woodmans’ suggestion and did October  Sundae on North Bald Cap last Sunday and camped and did the Outlook the next day. What a great outing!!. Two quality multi pitch moderate/easy routes. I loved the gritty clean white rock on Bald Cap, the setting is one of NH’s best. It was my 7th anniversary with wife that Sunday and is how we celebrated, she did great for not climbing much yet this year. Woke up a bit sore and tired Monday but hiked up Mt Success, rapped down the outlook, finding the 2nd set of rap rings was an adventure, but I made it, got the others down and great rock once again, a very windy day though, way intimidating and could not hear any belay signals, we yelled end yelled and resorted to tug system, which did work but walkie talkies could have come in handy. Can’t wait to go back in the fall when the colors are maxed. And great tip by Jack Dorsey re: raspberry bushes on trail, long pants saved us and we munched tons of juicy berries, my buddy loaded water container to bring home. Great climbs, thanx to Paul Cormier, Chuck, Jack and all. More route potential on both peaks.    A few pics

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »

Two more pics

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »

Nice pics and stoke, sounds like a good time and a nice alternative destination.
Thanks for the mini-TR.
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »

Thanx Dale, yes a great alternative, I love remote settings. Really doubt many people have done the Outlook yet

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »

Thanks for the photos. I need to go out there when I get back next month.Looking forward to ome fall climbing.
bailing is not failing!!!

Jack_Dorsey

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »

The last time Bill Keiler and I were on North Bald Cap we took a new picture of the Outlook. I used it to update the map of the route that Chuck Woodman and I did on the Outlook. It is located here:

http://jack-dorsey.smugmug.com/Climbing/Rock-Climbing/The-Outlook/14278927_uQMVm/1406949215_zkTTrSp#1406949215_zkTTrSp

Clicking the picture and choosing one of the larger size options allows you to view the Outlook in higher resolution than the previous map. Obviously you could use it to plan where you might want to do a route. 

Jack

carp

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 11:13:17 PM »

Thinking about heading up to check out october sundae soon. Anyone know what the access is like since Irene came through? Also, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how quick it usually dries out after a good rain. Thanks for the help. Carp

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »

Carp, as I have only been there once, not 100% on anything, but approach should be no problem from Irene after effects because the terrain on the approach is mostly an old logging clear cut, is mostly young saplings and blackberry bushes, just stick with the trail, heading to left side of cliff(trail will be several hundred yards outside base of cliff, not right at the base), until end when it loops back toward cliff, is a minor wooded 5 minute bushwack to base of Oct Sundae from trail(should cross a small stream not far from base of cliff) once you are at left side of cliff, beaten down circle at base of Oct Sundae, took us a couple minutes thru the bushwack to find, but no biggie

Drying wise, my guess is since cliff is mostly slabs, the open slabs should dry out quick and be climbable a day after rain, but all areas at the base of cliff (1st pitches) have a lot of tree cover and those places probably stay wet longer as well as the many "gardens" and tree patches thruout the cliff will remain wet longer, would guess you could still put something together if you can deal with some wet spots

was planning an entire weekend up there starting today but with rain today and saturday, not worth the 2 1/2 drive for me and the boys to prob be let down with pure wetness, Sunday might be doable, We cancelled up there until next weekend, cant wait to jump on other climbs, my 5.10 leader buddy wants to lead that 5.10C arete, I cant wait to follow!, plenty of 5.7s and 8s for my modest ability, and my bad knee, great cliff

cwoodman

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Any day spent in the mountains is a good day.
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

Jack & I were in there last week. The road in is fine. Trail up to the Outlook is okay. Jack has said the trail into N BaldCap is overgrown but no issues. Great place in the Fall.
Hunting season now. Maybe wear some orange. Lots of guys with guns around. Get after it. Have fun.
Chuck

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 04:48:02 PM »

Hunting season now. Maybe wear some orange. Lots of guys with guns around.

absolutely... be aware!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

bubbalee

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »

earlier this summer eric pospesil, scott lovel and i did anew route half way between double crack and call of the wild.
solo, climb or hike to the base of double crack and traverse right about 100ft to the base of a white slab with a cresent
shaped ledge and start there.
P1 climb straight up slab and belay at one of several convienent places  ending up beneath a series of left facing corners/arretes
150ft 5.5r
P2 surmount first arrete left to right and climb straight up on nice holds (might need a bolt or two later but not critical)
belay at the base of second arrete 180 ft 5.5-5.6 r
P3 surmount third arrete left to right through obvious weakness again climb straight up on nice rock belay 50ft below large roof
on small comfortable ledge. 120ft 5.6
P4 climb up and trend right on good holds with good pro in somewhat dirty crack angleing towards break in roof on far right edge.
go through roof/arrete on right on good holds with wild exposure (look left here and check out rock feature that is almost identical
to the old man) finish up a nice hand crack and trend right 40ft to anchors on call of the wild 150ft 5.7
rap down call of the wild (stellar route as well).

smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
Re: North Bald Cap: new route
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:25 PM »

North Bald Cap panoramic.
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 23 queries.