Author Topic: Gaspe Peninsula beta  (Read 166 times)

Offline drb1215

• NEClimbs Newbie
Gaspe Peninsula beta
« on: December 31, 2001, 08:26:24 AM »
I'm looking for information on climbing on the Gaspe Peninsula...Does anyone know the areas to climb? What the ice conditions are?  Where to stay, etc?  Any help would be appreciated...Thanks,  Dan :)

steve D

Re: Gaspe Peninsula beta
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2001, 12:12:34 PM »
Dan,

I did a Tele Backcountry Ski trip to the Chic Chocs  ( Rt. 299 )three years ago.  We planned to climb ice for two of the 9 days but only got in one day.  Had some severe cold so we skiied instead.  In fact the one day we climbed I broke a pick the ice was so hard something I have never done in 10 years on ice.. We were getting river effect snow all day which was pretty cool.. Very windy , unprotected and cold along the river.  

The Gaspe Penn. has Ice all along the St Lawrence seaway. From Ste-Anne-Des-Monts to the end Ice can be found in many areas along Rt 132.  The best stuff was east of rt. 198.   We met some local guys and they pointed us in the right direction.  A giude book would be a big help .  If you find one let me know . We will be going again this year in March..  

We saw some monster big Grade 4-5 stuff, if that's what you looking for.  We found a few nice  (Standard route like ) flows 100 ' from the car.  Big routes are all over the place ( moderate to very hard ).....

Steve D
stevezx6r@juno.com

Offline drb1215

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Gaspe Peninsula beta
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2002, 07:55:21 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for the information.

Dan