NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: hornets nest on inferno and hotter than hell?  (Read 1718 times)

dp

• NEClimbs Newbie
hornets nest on inferno and hotter than hell?
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »

I know that there has almost always been a nest on hotter than hell but I was told that there was a large nest halfway up inferno from the tree covered ledge, I love thoes two climbs but I am very allergic to getting stung, anyone have any info??? thanks. DP

perswig

• NEClimbs God
Re: hornets nest on inferno and hotter than hell?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »

Can't speak to Inferno, but this is clearly an active time/weather cycle for the little varmints.  I was stung last year this time hiking over the S. Buttress (we did HTH and P2+3 of Inferno, didn't see any on the climb or ledges).  I also saw several jigging around while on either SOH or Pathfinder last Thursday, probably Pathfinder as it was mid-afternoon.  They were not very aggressive, plus I've got a yellow rope and orange helmet - seems to attract them?
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

DLottmann

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »

Did Hotter than Hell to Inferno two days ago and did not see any nests or wasps... it was warm too...

Do you carry an Epi-Pen?

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »

Dp...how's the toe ?
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:57:53 AM »

I vote to cut down all the trees that have hornet nests in them. We can't have climbers getting stung. After all we own the forests cause we are climbers.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »

We must leave the trees with hornets because they ae then protected. :(O A bolt was added to HTH after the f/a, that caused the hornets nest

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »

Well in that case while we are cutting down the trees with nests we might as well chop the offending bolt. Because as climbers it is our god given right. Get the chisels John.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »

YEAH ! "A chopping we will go, a chopping we will go......" It's only been 29 years, but so what  ;)

dp

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:06:26 PM »

the toe is healing well but I have missed out on lots climbing and yeah I carry two epi pens, I am very allergic to yellow jackets, hornets, bees...... oh well gotto go some how, DP

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »

Just curious.  Which bolt was added to HTH after the FA? 
I seem to skip a bolt at the far right of the initial traverse (maybe not even on the climb but a sucker bolt from a neighbor?), but there is some reasonable gear that I could see allowing a hardman or -woman to skip one or two of the bolts. 
Dale

DLottmann

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »

The bolt at the crux, the one that protects the awkward mantle move into the little pod high on the route. Webster's guide gives the history I believe. I think Matt Peer, the FAist, was drilling all on lead (free on lead) and was too gripped to place the crux bolt on his FA, so he returned and added it later "much to the chagrin of local hardmen" or something like that.

Glad Matt had the insight to retro-bolt it as I doubt it would see much traffic sans the crux bolt. Neighbor "Cold Day in Hell" is a harder climb, 5.10, but more protected and sees more traffic.

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:09 PM »

Oh, and speaking of that bolt, I have caught two partners on their first leader falls on that bolt! This past Sunday was the second one. With rope stretch it is about a 10 footer. Without that bolt it would be a forty footer.  :o

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »

Yep, I kinda LIKE that bolt.  Most recent trip up, those moves into the pod were running wet and I was some glad to clip it.
Cold Day's on my fall list (wait, that sounds wrong...).

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »

The only problem with Cold Day is that it impacts several routes that "never get done" BS. Matt pussed out to local opinion on HTH. Should another bolt been placed on Children's P1 'cause the mantle is "scairey"

DLottmann

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »

The only problem with Cold Day is that it impacts several routes that "never get done" BS. Matt pussed out to local opinion on HTH. Should another bolt been placed on Children's P1 'cause the mantle is "scairey"

I've only led Children's twice but isn't there a bolt right below the mantle? I don't remember it being run out, just thin/slippery...

So... Webster's account verbatim:

"Matt Peer & Craig Stemley made the first ascent on May 29, 1980, placing all the bolts on the lead. Thinking he'd probably fall off the crux move if he stopped to place another bolt, Matt went for it, successfully. The local consensus was that the unprotected crux runout should stay, as that was how the route was first led, but eventually Peer decided to add the bolt on rappel- "much to the dismay of the resident hardmen"- but to the greater benefit of most climbers!"

So here a first ascentionist who with a modest ego felt the climb would be better with a bolt at the crux. I am guessing he could have easily hung on a hook there during the FA as it seems to many of you that is so much more acceptable than bolting on rappel, but that was not his style. I believe the rest of the bolts were driven from stances, which is the only true "on lead" method IMO.

Regardless, saying he "pussed out", when he actually fired the crux sans bolt is a bit of an unwarranted insult to someone who contributed a really nice moderate to that area of Whitehorse, especially since it seems like "local opinion" was against him if Webster's history is correct.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.