NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumney Main Cliff parking lot  (Read 1607 times)

Bbrum

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Rumney Main Cliff parking lot
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »

Hi all,
 Just wanted to spread the word that the USFS will start with the renovation of the main Cliff parking lot this week
I hope to post a PDF of their design shortly (I need to shrink it a bit)
below is their press release,
Cheers,
Bob

Rumney Rocks Climbing Area Makeover
Rumney Rocks Climbing Area is about to get a makeover. Rumney Rocks is a popular Recreation Area located on the White Mountain National Forest in Rumney, NH.  Construction crews will be starting the week of October 18th to redesign the Main Cliff Parking Lot and build a section of trail from the lot to the 5.8 Crag. The redesign of the parking lot will seek to improve safety and better define the parking spaces that are available.
According to Assistant District Ranger Tom Giles,  We,re really excited to get this project started. Improving the safety of our climbers by establishing a trail that parallels Buffalo Road and keeps them from having to walk on Buffalo Road was a key part of this.   Giles also pointed out that the funding for this project is coming entirely from the sale of Recreation Passes on the Forest.  The Recreation Pass program allows us to keep at least 80% of the fees collected here to invest back onto the White Mountain National Forest. This project is a great example of how we can use our fees to improve our recreation sites and increase public safety.
Redesigning Main Cliff Parking Lot is Phase 1 of a more comprehensive project which will eventually establish a trail that parallels Buffalo to connect the Main Parking Lot to the Main Cliff Parking Lot. The Main Parking Lot will also receive a face-lift. The entire project is planned to be completed within the next few years.
The Main Cliff Parking Lot will be closed starting October 18 and will remain closed for about four weeks during redesign construction. However, the Main Parking Lot will remain open.
The public is asked to take extra caution while traveling on Buffalo Road while this construction is going on and be aware of climbers walking around the construction site. If there are any questions about this project, please contact the Pemigewasset Ranger District at (603) 536-6100 or visit their website at www.fs.fed.us/r9/white.

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Rumney Main Cliff parking lot
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:24:27 AM »

oh boy,here we go again with the "dirty loose rock".

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »

Is there any plans either by them or any trail day things to work on the trail from 5.8  up to the blue trail?   If this is going to be a high use trail it needs to be improved from the dirt and loose rock that is there now. 
I am pretty sure that is part of the plan, jake. I just really hope they have abandoned the idea of continuing the trail from the 5.8 crag along next to the road to pole 37. That would be such a complete waste of resources.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

ethatch

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:00:42 AM »

Hey Bob, do you know what days they're working on it. Are they doing anything for which they be stoked to have volunteers just show up and pitch in when they can? Thanks for bringing this to all of us!
    -Erik
"If you got the fuckin' spirit you rock, if you don't.....your a sport climber"
    -leonard Coyne

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:40:03 AM »

Can we assume we have access to the Main Cliff and OC/New Wave trail from Buffalo Road during construction?

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:35:14 AM »

Jake, ^^^ wasn't really called for. You might wish to delete it before it just makes more bad blood.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:38:20 AM »

OUCH guys... at least TRY & keep it civil!  :-X
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:47:35 AM »

Well I'm out.  I'm sick of every suggestion for crag improvement getting shit on by certain folks who clearly just want to be negative. 

"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Bbrum

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »

t=Trail access will still available. they are working Monday through Thursday, it's a sub contractor and more heavy equipment.
I think we should do a trail day and get some volunteers out there, we are clear to do trail work again.

I'm meeting with them at 1:00 today I'll post any updates.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »

we are clear to do trail work again.

Nice, Bob. I think trimming the trail back from the stairs below Armed and Dangerous towards the small parking lot would be a good start. It is all flagged. It would need some simple grading, which should be done in hand with the FS

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »

I think we should do a trail day and get some volunteers out there, we are clear to do trail work again.
Yeah, nice.  Thanks a bunch, Bob.  Please let us know; I' ll come up and lend a hand.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Bbrum

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »

sorry, no volunteers on this job, this is heavy equipment.

They will close the lot sometime soon predict a four to five week project time.
This is what they are calling phase1 and will include the main cliff lot and the trail to the 5.8
so before everyone goes wild the trail will be graded significantly. What I understand is that because of the type of trail the grade is determined by law, and yes they understand what that the users will be heading uphill to climb.

that being said the real purpose of the trail is to get people off the road, and to that end the easier it is the more likely we are to use it.

I have a pdf of the deign but it's too large to upload, I'll try again tomorrow.

I would love to organize some trail work we all know how much triple corners needs some love.

Cheers,
Bob

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »

Thanks very much for your attendance today and update, Bob.
I like to see the end result once they are done; hoping for a warm and dry December weekend.

And please keep us posted on volunteer trail work once you have something organized.  THX!

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »

Would love to hear what people think of the new "Crag Improvement". I think I may be missing the "Improvement" part.  Mike

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »

Think of it as Botox, Mike.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 23 queries.