Author Topic: gear weight  (Read 193 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
gear weight
« on: January 23, 2004, 02:29:14 PM »
so has anyone tried the new Mammut skinny slings? I was climbing with someone who had some the other day & they were wicked nice. you can hang a lot more of them over your shoulder than the old style, and they are a lighter as well. the only downside I can see is that you can't cut them & tie them around a tree if you need to. not that I've done that more than once or twice in all the time I've been climbing. I've been trying to lighten up my rack & this is one of several steps. another is getting all wiregate biners. I've been really feeling weighted down lately.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
Re: gear weight
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 05:16:24 PM »
also, what do people think about the Omega ISO Cold Forged JC biners? I was looking at them today & they look pretty nice and they are lightweight. they certainly are lighter than the Spirits which I have used for years.

Al
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 05:19:27 PM by admin »
Al Hospers

Offline sparky

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Steve Jacques
    • The Adventures of Sparky
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 01:19:07 PM »
 Until just the last couple of years...I had always racked my cams and friends with one oval carabiner per cam. I have replaced the ovals to the BD neutrino  wire gate biners...It definitely lightened the load. I have also started to replace my bent gate petzl spirits with BD wire gates. For weight loss as well as the slapping and accidental opening of a gate under load of a fall.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 01:20:16 PM by sparky »

Offline t-rad

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 07:41:31 AM »
Years ago I also began swapping out my old biners for the wired gate type (hot wires) for several reasons, but primarily to reduce weight.  My major complaint is that if the wire bends, even a little, I have found the spring action to be suspect.  I have retired several hot wires for this reason.

-A

Offline JonH

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 02:59:22 AM »
I too love the mammut slings and not to sound like a tight wad miser the $6.00 price tag has a tendency to deter rather than attract me.  Call me cheap, but the ragged mtn or (insert tubular webbing brand here) at around $3.00 is better for my budget and needs.  Wire gates do really make a great difference though.  I love BD camelots, on the negative they are really heavy.  So switching all of my cams over to wiregates really did save my shoulder.  

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 04:09:49 AM »
>>Wire gates do really make a great difference though. ÊI love BD camelots, on the negative they are really heavy. ÊSo switching all of my cams over to wiregates really did save my shoulder.<<

I assume that you mean that swtching all your biners to wiregates was good. as far as the cams, what did you go for that was just as solid, maintainable & easy to place, but lighter?

Al
Al Hospers

Offline scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
light and fast
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 06:56:45 AM »
- wire gates can shave pounds off your rack. nuetrinos are amazing, but wildcountry just came out with a sick new light weight biner that is stronger, and inline w/ weight.
- rack 2-3 small cams on one biner (ex: blue, green, yellow aliens). saves many biners if you carry all of your gear this way. just make sure you do not drop one.
- sewn slings vs. homemade w/ water knots. those mammut slings look nice, but will not last as long due to abrasion.
- lighten up the lead line w/ smaller diameter line.
- really scrutinize the amount of gear you need for the climb you are about to get on. having more than you need is good for craggin, but can seriously hinder your progress on bigger routes .
- the biggest thing that you can do for shaving weight is lose some of that spare tire w/ more cardio.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 07:18:19 AM »
I hate haveing more than one cam on a biner. The last thing i want to do when I am scteched is to fiddle with gear. the whole point of cams is that they place easy. I like to be able to whip out that cam, plug it in , clip it and go. Granted most often I will add a draw  or runner but if I am at my limit I need the option to plug and clip.

Offline MJS

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 07:51:18 AM »
Trango is one company that seems to be aiming it's production line at the new lightweight market.  They have a new wiregate called the Superfly, (lighter than Neutrinos) as well as their own 8mm runners (look about the same as the Mammut ones).  They have also lightened the weight on their Flexcams, and they are cheap at $40 each.  Anyone heard any postives or negatives on this stuff???  

Offline scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 12:39:47 PM »
I hate haveing more than one cam on a biner. The last thing i want to do when I am scteched is to fiddle with gear. the whole point of cams is that they place easy. I like to be able to whip out that cam, plug it in , clip it and go. Granted most often I will add a draw  or runner but if I am at my limit I need the option to plug and clip.

al was asking how to shave weight, and this is definitely one way. look at the case where you have a cam w/ racking biner, and clip it w/ a quickdraw... extra gear = extra weight

different strokes for different folks i guess...

Offline Jason

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 04:21:16 PM »
I have found that shaving weight off of my big ass was very effective.  :-)  But seriously, many of us can EASILY shed 3 or 4 lbs. and not need a bunch of new gear to to it...

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 04:26:58 PM »
>>Wire gates do really make a great difference though. ÊI love BD camelots, on the negative they are really heavy. ÊSo switching all of my cams over to wiregates really did save my shoulder.<<

I assume that you mean that swtching all your biners to wiregates was good. as far as the cams, what did you go for that was just as solid, maintainable & easy to place, but lighter?

Al

I think he meant to say "So switching all (the biners) of my cams over to wiregates did save my shoulder).  He didn't change his cams.