Author Topic: rope choice for large climbers  (Read 92 times)

Offline T_Moon

• NEClimbs Senior Member
rope choice for large climbers
« on: January 28, 2004, 04:23:21 PM »
As a "clydesdale" size climber I'm curious to hear what folks think about choice of ropes.  One school of thought says go with a thinner rope so there is more stretch and less impact on gear (and belayer) during a fall.  The other school of thought says go with a thicker rope that can stand up to more abuse.  After setting up whippers on the fall simulator at the Petzl site I'm thinking thinner is better because gear starts blowing out sooner with the fat ropes because of the higher impact forces.  Any thoughts??

Troy
If you want to get to the peak, you ought to climb without giving it too much thought.

--Nietzsche

Offline scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: rope choice for large climbers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 06:32:14 PM »
ahhh, the quest for the best line. many thoughts go into this one for some, others try to find the best deal.

what type of climbing will you be doing?
ice only?
rock only?
year round?
doubles?
twins?
single?
bicolor?
make?
budget?
leading trad?
leading sport?
TR only?

if you are talking fat vs skinny, probably just a single line then...

when i was looking to buy a single rope, i looked at 60m ropes only, and wanted the most durable, burly lead line i could get. did not want some skinny rope or to be handling a cable either. the best balance was the 10.3mm sterling marathon. higher thread count on the sheath, reasonable impact forces, very nice hand, drycore, and very reputable manufacturer. with over 500 pitches, it is still riding strong. a great line indeed.

had a beal and it sucked. eidlewiess last long. bluewaters are fine ropes too. mammut make very good lines, as do pmi.

how large is large anyways?

Offline SMorton

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 07:14:24 AM »
I wouldn't go too skinny.  A smaller diameter doesn't always equal less impact force and more elongation.  And, the specs. you see for ropes are based on an 80kg load.  A larger load (bigger climber) will always generate higher forces and it may not be a linear relationship from rope to rope.  

I would go with a medium size rope to give you a little more abrasion and cut resistance.

Offline Ollie

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Life is Good...Make it Gooder !
    • Ollie's Rock Gym
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 12:30:08 PM »
Elderid makes nice ropes too.
I have a 9.8 "livewire" and love it.
nice stretch, good wear resitance. Dry is nice, it keeps it light in the spring when seeping is abundant.
Life is Good...Make it Gooder !