Author Topic: AT bindings  (Read 1949 times)

Offline mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
AT bindings
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:44:59 PM »
 I was offered a pair of back country skis if i could find some bindings for them. I am looking for bindings i can use with my climbing boots. I am not at all interested in back country skiing i just want skis as a quicker way to reach remote cliffs. They also have to be cheap. Does anyone know a good place to look for something like this. I have looked on ebay but i am not sure what this style of binding is called besides AT. I seem to remember seeing army surplus binding working with climbing boots, any ideas?

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: AT bindings
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:36:28 PM »
Another name is "randonee". I don't think there is a way to get them cheap unless you get a very used or old pair.
You can also buy a gadget that makes regular downhill binding into "randonee" by releasing the hill, you can find those on sale for $100... but it's probably not worth it since it makes whome thing too heavy.
http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/ski-equipment/telemark-randonee-and-snowshoes/randonee-bindings/backcountry-access/PRD_111361_4214crx.aspx

Old and light bindings that will work with boots and you might be able to find:
Silvretta 404
Salewa Tour

This page has a good history and probably some info on what would work with regular boots:
http://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry-skiing-history/binding-museum/

Finally, give Ragged Mountain a call - they sometimes have those used

Good luck!
-om

MAmedic

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 12:21:39 AM »
silveretta 500's.  these retail for 350 but are releasable and compatible with the welts on mountaineering boots.  They are also quite light.  mounted on a nice pair of BC skis and youre set for long approaches.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:40:08 AM by MAmedic »

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »
David - I have a set of Atomic AT skis with Silveretta 500's & BD skins that I am getting ready to sell. however they  won't be "cheap". [wry grin] great approach setup tho.
Al Hospers

meclimber

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 06:34:08 AM »
Well, someone beat me to it.  I am also looking to set myself up with an approach set-up.  I had a friend tell me how expensive the whole AT set-up is and it dissueded me from it.  Do they make a bomber Cross Country pair that will do smaller downhill's.  Or do i want a cheap tele set-up?

curious in nottingham...

Offline mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:50:33 PM »
 Thanks all for the info. Olga your links were particularly useful. Once i knew what i was looking for it was fairly easy to find a pair. I got a pair of Rossi Explorer skis with Silvretta 404 bindings, skins and crampons in great shape for under $200 on ebay. I just got them today and had a sweet flounder fest down my driveway. I am going to have to practice up so i can hopefully tag along with Mark to Greens eastern crags.

meclimber- do a search on ebay and the rest of the wed for silvretta 404 or 500 and keep checking. I suspect my skis are just downhill skis with silvretta bindings. You can get downhill skis for dirt cheap so you would just have to invest in bindings and skins. What does everyone else think, would down hill skis work? My skis were supposedly used for long ice climbing approaches in Montana.

MAmedic

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »
the big thing to remember with the silveretta bindings (404 or 500) is that they are designed for a very specific purpose.  They are an approach binding.  the binding, when used with a mountaineering boot is essentially a cross country ski binding.  Please keep this in mind when looking for this binding.  If you are going to put a mountain boot in it, it is not an aggressive downhill rig. Even with an alpine touring boot, it is not a DIN certified binding which means it may not release as reliably as a true downhill binding. That being said, if I had the cash, id grab me a silveretta 500 and a pair of the Madshus Annums (karhu Guide).  that is a sweet approach setup for backwoods adventures.  Cheers all

meclimber

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
Sweet, thanks for the info guys.

sparky

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »
Current set up for approach is.
Silveretta 400 series with Karhu 10th Mtn waxless fish scale skis.  Use them weekly on the Wed night ski and perfect for approach to areas like Shell Pond, H Ravine Katahdin (heading up in 7 days! 8) ) etc.
Great set up.  I've even skied Tucks headwall with my Apline DH boots w/o issue.