NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Learn to Trad Climb with NoJ/NY AMC  (Read 1396 times)

jeprove

• NEClimbs Newbie
Learn to Trad Climb with NoJ/NY AMC
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »

Learn how to Trad Climb with the AMC

Climbers (or anyone interested in learning to climb),

Just posting an announcement for an introductory climbing course being offered by the AMC in the early Spring. The Appalachian Mountain Club (www.outdoors.org) is a non-profit community that is broken into regions throughout the Northeast. Within each region, there are committees that organize outdoor weekend excursions for hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, backpacking, etc. ONCE a year, the climbing committee of the NY-Northen NJ Chapter offers a four day introductory course for 18 lucky students that teaches what you need to know to safely set up toprope anchors and second (or follow) trad leaders on multi-pitch climbs (like those at the Gunks). In addition, if you pass the course, you will be included on the committee’s roster, instantly providing you with other safe climbing partners to hit the Gunks with on weekends and invitations to planned trips to nearby climbing areas like Rumney, the Adirondacks and Seneca Rocks…even occasionally to less nearby locations like Red Rocks and El Potrero Chico.

Four days for the nominal fee of $200 (which is used to cover costs for community equipment like ropes, webbing and carabiners – all of the instructors volunteer their time and pay for their own transportation and lodging costs) in exchange for training and partners…what’s the catch? Well, you do have to be a member of the AMC (which takes about 5 minutes on http://www.amc-ny.org/), but you can wait to hear if you’ve been accepted to the course before having to join. You also have to get yourself to Southington, Connecticut (where we hold the four days of outdoor instruction) for two weekends in row (no public transportation, car pools available – hopefully you’ll be driving one them).
Aside from that, the real reasons that we volunteer our time is that we love climbing and want to build the community of safe climbers within our committee. The larger the group, the better it is for all of us. Also, since almost everyone on the roster has gone through the course (you can also join as a walk-on leader), we all take comfort in knowing that we’ve all been trained in the safest practices….which leads me to my final point: You don’t have to be new to climbing to take the course, but you do have to practice what we teach to find a place on the roster. The instructors have put a lot of thought into designing a curriculum that teaches the safest climbing methods possible (i.e., how to belay, which knots to use, etc.) and we want to insure that course graduates are proficient in safe practices.

If any of this sounds interesting to you, check out the link below for more information (dates/equipment costs/schedule/timeline, etc) and also for the application itself: http://www.amc-ny.org/recreational-activities/climbing
(Please take the form submission seriously, as we always get more applicants than slots available in the course and typically have nothing else to go on in deciding who we offer a spot to)

If you have any questions, feel free to email us at climbing.trainingclass@amc-ny.org, but please be understanding if the responses are terse - we get a lot of questions, and remember we’re all volunteers!

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Learn to Trad Climb with NoJ/NY AMC
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »

This is a great course. Highly recommended!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »

AND you get to catch the bucket

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »

Never caught the bucket before.  Heard a lot about it from Eric though.  Do I get to skip straight to that part if I sign up?

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

little lil

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:07 AM »

I think that costs extra...
Lilly V.

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »

Never caught the bucket before.  Heard a lot about it from Eric though.  Do I get to skip straight to that part if I sign up?

I just want to point out that over the years the bucket has lost a few parts (haven't we all) and now is more Soon sized that Slabbo sized - but it still is a memorable catching experience.

On a slightly more serious note I want o point out that the course described by the OP is being offered by the NY chapter of the AMC - not the Boston one.  I know from the outside the AMC appears to be one big monolith operating in lock step but in reality there are a lot of separate factions operating semi autonomously.  This is particularity true of the various "into to climbing" type courses offered by the AMC.  Some are run by various volunteer committees, some are contracted out to professionals.  They all have slightly different vibes.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »

On a slightly more serious note I want o point out that the course described by the OP is being offered by the NY chapter of the AMC

Might it not be too soon after the Rex Ryan incident for a bunch of new yawkers to be huddled together chanting, "use your feet"...?   :o

I've also heard the AMC can be a little overbearing but I suppose as long as everyone toes the line things should work out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:45:47 AM by JBrochu »
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

little lil

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »

On a slightly more serious note I want o point out that the course described by the OP is being offered by the NY chapter of the AMC

Might it not be too soon after the Rex Ryan incident for a bunch of new yawkers to be huddled together chanting, "use your feet"...?   :o

I've also heard the AMC can be a little overbearing but I suppose as long as everyone toes the line things should work out.
[/quote]

Curious, what happened?  What are you referring to?
Lilly V.

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:52 AM »

Curious, what happened?  What are you referring to?
[/quote]

Its a boy thing.  An American boy thing.  Has to do with (American) football.  And the hated Jets.  Who will probably clean TB's clock in just over a week.  Unless Peyton does it.  Obscure enough for you?

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:56:43 AM »

Jeez dude no need to be a heal. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »

Jeez dude no need to be a heal. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

Prolly a footwork issue  ;) You won't  learn footwork with the AMC. You will learn such silly things like - tie off the leader ( for a beginner ? , please), how to tie a bowline on a coil ( just silly) and more uselesss knots than you will ever use.

Eric- the bucket and I do share some similar traits, except that I never fall  :D

whitehorse411

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Think outside the Box!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 06:28:27 PM »

As a whole the AMC is a good thing. But let me tell you one thing. I was watching such a class take place in Quincy Quarries and listen to an older gentleman teach knots to some people how to make a Fishermans knot.  He was showing them a Square knot.   My advise is to buy Freedom of the Hills first then take the class and compare what is taught.  Just my two cents.

jeprove

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »

So I am very curious about some of your comments.  Where did you witness some of these bad or useless practices?  I'm with the NY chapter climbing committee and have very little contact with ny chapter groups nevermind other chapters.  As a committee we act pretty much on our own.  The purpose of the class is to get new members ready to follow multipitch at the gunks and then get out with them that first season to practice there new skills.  Other then that we use the committee as a forum to connect with partners.  So like I said, I'm wondering if anyone in the amc are teaching people to climb other then the climbing committees. The NY committee teaches top rope anchors, belaying leaders, cleaning, rope management, rappeling, escape a belay etc etc. We don't teach bowline and we may teach a square knot to backpack a coil.

Thanks for the replies

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:37:29 AM »

If you are with the NY/NJ AMC climbing committee, I would politely ask you to reconsider the plan to take a group of 18 new climbers plus trainers to the sites in or near Southington, CT. There is a reason that the NY chapter no longer does their training at the Gunks-- the Preserve doesn't allow groups that large because of the impact on the area and on other climbers (as well as requiring large insurance policies and leader training certification for people teaching or guiding on the property). The CT climbing areas are MUCH smaller than the Trapps at the Gunks, so the potential negative impact of a group of that size is greatly magnified. To plan to bring a large group for 4 days over 2 weekends seems impolitic at best. There is no legal camping and an increasingly difficult parking situation at all of the CT crag locations. The Ragged Mountain Foundation which owns the Ragged property has a maximum group size of 6 persons total for guided groups, so it would seem that an organization such as the AMC would recognize that 18 people plus leaders is much too big a group for the area. Respectfully, Jeff Lea

Full disclosure: I am speaking as an individual, although I am a member of the Executive Board of the above mentioned RMF, and teach and guide rock and ice climbing for the EMS climbing school. 30+ years ago I also served as an AMC chapter mountaineering chair in CT.

jeprove

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »

I forgot to mention that we don't climb on RMF property.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 23 queries.