NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learn to Trad Climb with NoJ/NY AMC  (Read 1192 times)

little lil

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Learn to Trad Climb with NoJ/NY AMC
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »

Hi folks, i think this discussion is better being held via PM between you guys than in an online forum.
Lilly V.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 03:32:27 PM »

I thought this was face Book

matt shove

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »

I whole heartedly agree with Jeff.

Just becasue you arrive and leave with 18+ at a non RMF owned CT crag does not make your actions OK. 

Please think about the folks who live nearby, and the impact you will have on their neighborhoods, the climbing community, and what the local climbers will have to deal with for the rest of the season-----angry neighbors, and access complaints and possible closures.

A group of larger than 12 including instructors or mentors, is irresponsible and does not account for current Leave No Trace practices.   

matt shove

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »

St Johns Ledges in Kent, CT may be a much better option with a shorter commute and good nearby camping.  It's a good place to learn, and has plenty of trad routes to follow, and lots to TR.  This place can handle a crowd of 18+.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 10:25:39 PM »

I whole heartedly agree with Jeff.

Just becasue you arrive and leave with 18+ at a non RMF owned CT crag does not make your actions OK. 

Please think about the folks who live nearby, and the impact you will have on their neighborhoods, the climbing community, and what the local climbers will have to deal with for the rest of the season-----angry neighbors, and access complaints and possible closures.

A group of larger than 12 including instructors or mentors, is irresponsible and does not account for current Leave No Trace practices.   

God, with that much impact, they had better just stay home  :o
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

JJ Jameson

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »

+1 for what Matt said.
I've worked with groups as large as 25 to 30 climbers and 5-6 leaders at St. John's. (Including Matt.... ;-) )
Lower ledges gives a handful of easy short lead routes with excellent access, a clear base area that can support a large number of people, with no damage to vegetation, and no poison ivy to boot.
The Upper ledges are an honest 80-100' in places, with a few of crack/corner climbs that can take gear, and excellent slab climbing that will take the occasional piece for bolder climbers. These are perhaps better suited for TR. Also has lots of room for groups to spread out with minimal impact.
Tons of local camping, easy access to amenities, no parking issues, a "woods" setting, ( no paved roads or houses anywhere nearby), and very short approach.

jeprove

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »

I definitely understand your concerns. However, we have been holding the class in the area for 18 years. We carpool (five to a car), do not park in residential areas,  use crags that get limited traffic (I never saw a climber), donate to the organization who maintains the trails and more often than not it is cold and rainy when we are there. We are aware of the access issues in the area and I feel we are sensitive them. I feel that most of you are unaware that we have been doing this in the southington area for 18 years and that tells me that we are sensitive. If you just don't want NYers in Connecticut, while I understand and respect the feeling, I don't know what to do about that.

jeprove

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »

I will look into Kent.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »

Learn how to Trad Climb with the AMC
The instructors have put a lot of thought into designing a curriculum that teaches the safest climbing methods possible (i.e., how to belay, which knots to use, etc.) and we want to insure that course graduates are proficient in safe practices.

Can you post the curriculum to be able to critic positively? If my partner drop is belay device, he didn't have the safest climbing methods anymore...AAAAAH!!!!

I like the idea of that kind of course. I think that it bring more people to climb and to learn by reading, friend/partner and courses. I am just afraid by standardisation of safety method. As climbing is emotional first and rational after, I am not sure that we can teach at someone to stay calm when all go wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 23 queries.