Author Topic: East Coast Backcountry Ski/Climb Blog  (Read 1243 times)

Offline cjlynch87

• NEClimbs Newbie
East Coast Backcountry Ski/Climb Blog
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:55:48 pm »
http://mybackcountryseason.wordpress.com/

I've been lurking on here for a while, using all of you for beta for climbs here and there.

Today was my first day out doing some climbing. Check out the blog, let me know what you think. I know it's not all about climbing but hey, can't we all get along?

Thanks!
http://mybackcountryseason.wordpress.com/

DWT

Re: East Coast Backcountry Ski/Climb Blog
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 09:59:33 pm »
Nice adventure! 8) Good luck with the 2.0 mission.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 10:01:32 pm »
Nice.

In your Greeley explorations, have you checked out the crag to the east of the trail? I have been up there twice, once in snow with no snowshoes and the other time in freezing drizzle with a complaining GF (She cruised out so fast I had a hard time keeping up with her, lol). It is a pretty steep and rough shwack up off the hiking trail ( it could be a little dangerous if by yourself as you are swimming up, over and around lots of big boulders and roots with lots of holes to slide into), but it looked like interesting potential for rock and ice. If you start up further to the south than we did, I think the going would be better. There is a big boulder a few hundred feet in on the right. If you cut in there you should be able to reach the open scree that leads up to the right side of the cliff.

How is the snow up there now? I want to do some off trail crossX and snowshoeing near Sawyer pond.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline menace

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:03 pm »
Nice site, and nice reports. I don't know how I feel about the layout of the site though. I like the slick design but scrolling down that far (like many blogs) is kind of annoying. Just my opinion, for what is worth.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:38:31 pm »
Nice.

In your Greeley explorations, have you checked out the crag to the east of the trail? I have been up there twice, once in snow with no snowshoes and the other time in freezing drizzle with a complaining GF (She cruised out so fast I had a hard time keeping up with her, lol). It is a pretty steep and rough shwack up off the hiking trail ( it could be a little dangerous if by yourself as you are swimming up, over and around lots of big boulders and roots with lots of holes to slide into), but it looked like interesting potential for rock and ice. If you start up further to the south than we did, I think the going would be better. There is a big boulder a few hundred feet in on the right. If you cut in there you should be able to reach the open scree that leads up to the right side of the cliff.

How is the snow up there now? I want to do some off trail crossX and snowshoeing near Sawyer pond.

I think Bradley has been out there. Sawyer has some short cliff bands around it as well as   the long thin slab on the left of sawyer road (above the house). Solitude ??

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 06:09:19 pm »
I think Bradley has been out there. Sawyer has some short cliff bands around it as well as   the long thin slab on the left of sawyer road (above the house). Solitude ??

I skied up the road last Thursday. there was ice on the other side of the river behind the house. however the river was still somewhat running from what I could hear and I would be nervous trying to get across it. maybe soon if it stays cold like this...

BTW that's a great XC-ski...
Al Hospers

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:36:33 am »
If you keep going past the parking lot and left, you get to Hayshed Field with great views up to the Captain. Then continue right along the river for a ways to a somewhat hidden bridge (you will be south of the river). Cross this and a winding course brings you back to the parking lot.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:30:19 am »
Great. Maybe I will try in another week or 2. So there are no snowmobiles? They kind of ruin it for me coming in via Rob Brook with the whizzing by and fuming you out, not to mention wrecking the snow. Looking at the map, it looks like it may be a little longer getting in to the NE crags of Green's from Sawyer, but it would be worth it if it is a more fun ski.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:10:01 pm »
that's a full-on snowmobile trail up SR road.
Al Hospers

Offline cjlynch87

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 10:39:04 pm »
Anyone have some suggestions on a spot to go for a fun ski?

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:59:22 am »
Sawyer River Road, Mt. Clinton Road, the RR tracks from Frankenstein up/down to Crawford Notch, Nancy Brook Trail...
Al Hospers

DWT

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 05:45:36 pm »
Hey CJ, did you ski Chocorua Sunday?

Offline cjlynch87

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 10:31:01 am »
No not me, got stuck going to Manch to pick up the gf at the airport...