NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Just so you all know... I am going to change the default theme for the site to a more modern "curve" theme. It will be the one everyone uses from now on. It will make things a whole lot easier for me to maintain.

THNX

the management

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Grivel Quantum Techs  (Read 1655 times)

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Grivel Quantum Techs
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »

Anyone out there have any personal experience with these tools. Swung them over my head at EMS and was amazed at the feel, very light and natural swing. Anyone out there using these currently?

Chris
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Stephane

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Grivel Quantum Techs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:20:42 AM »

Hi !  I didn't use these tools yet, but I,too, find them very interesting. I found this enthusiastic review of the tool by a Mountain guide who doesn't seem to be sponsored (but who knows?)
http://bergfuhrer.blogspot.com/2010/01/grivel-quantum-tech-ice-climbing-tool.html

Also, these tools generally receive good comments on climbers forums in France, but it's true that, since they don't have the same ice conditions as here, their advise is not necessarily always relevant.

I don't know if you happen to travel to Montreal sometimes or if you can manage to get a shipping address in Canada but Mountain Equipment Coop has these tools for 205$ (Canadian).
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442622599&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302691849

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:25:50 AM »

I don't know if you happen to travel to Montreal sometimes or if you can manage to get a shipping address in Canada but Mountain Equipment Coop has these tools for 205$ (Canadian).
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442622599&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302691849

Hey, thanks for the tip Stephane! I too found that blog on the tools and am seriously considering getting them. They swing wonderfully and are light as a feather. Some good film on YouTube with guys from Grivel using them on all kinds of terrain....pretty interesting, they seem to climb really well.

Grammy
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Joe_Re

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »

Hi Grammy,

My buddy picked up a pair about two month ago.  He loves em, the weight, the swing, the stick.  I have a pair of the X-monsters (I really dig em), which have practically the same pick, and I agree the Grivel picks are the shit.  He said the only thing that sucks is the first time you change the picks, which I watched him do a few days ago.

They're really awesome tools.

Joe.
"Men hang out signs indicative of their respective trades: shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; a jewler a monster watch; and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the Franconia Mountains of New Hampshire god almighty has hung out a sign to say in New England he makes men".
Daniel Webster 18?

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:01:24 AM »

Hey thanks Joe!
I have heard the same things about changing out the picks with those manky mushroom head bolts...pain in th a@*s!!
Still should be a great tool. May pick them up this weekend!
Grammy

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »

Grammy; speak to the guys at EMS in N. Conway; I've heard they took a few of these back on warrenty issues. The head was detaching from the carbon, under the rubber gasket.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »

Grammy; speak to the guys at EMS in N. Conway; I've heard they took a few of these back on warrenty issues. The head was detaching from the carbon, under the rubber gasket.

Hey there!

I too had heard a little bit about that issue, but I had heard that the earlier models suffered from it, also I had hear that some of the picks were tweaked right out of the box. I wrote a few people who have the Quantums and have had them for a couple of years with no incident. I will keep my eyes out for that, but the quality looks pretty good on these tools.  ;)

~g

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »

Grammy-- Remember one of my favorite George Carlin lines--" A house is just a place to store your stuff while you go out and buy more stuff" ;D  Let's see--New house? Check; new boots? Check; new tools? Check tomorrow  8)

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 05:39:58 AM »

Grammy-- Remember one of my favorite George Carlin lines--" A house is just a place to store your stuff while you go out and buy more stuff" ;D  Let's see--New house? Check; new boots? Check; new tools? Check tomorrow  8)

Love it!

But...I sold my old boots, old tools, old screws and my old house to afford all the above!  8)
`g

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 02:41:36 PM »

I'm being reminded of the theme song to the Jeffersons. Movin on up to the delux apartment in the sky........... Nice

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »

I'm being reminded of the theme song to the Jeffersons. Movin on up to the delux apartment in the sky........... Nice

Weezy and George baby!!!!  ;D

Pat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »

Even in the face of obviousness, maybe hold off purchasing them until you demo a pair at Ice Fest?  It sucks to get stuck with tools you realize just aren't for you. 

$.02

-Pat

PS How are your Baturas?

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »

Even in the face of obviousness, maybe hold off purchasing them until you demo a pair at Ice Fest?  It sucks to get stuck with tools you realize just aren't for you. 

$.02

-Pat

PS How are your Baturas?
Great advice, but I already pulled the trigger on the quantum techs and used them today in Huntington's. Totally love the tools and love the Baturas too.

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 09:58:22 PM »

You're going more Euro every day, Grammy-- I can't wait to see the Neon one-piece ;D

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 10:07:26 PM »

^^
PLEASE tell me you're not talking about his thong. 

Right?

If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.608 seconds with 22 queries.