NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Climber lowered off end of rope  (Read 5111 times)

tinker

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Climber lowered off end of rope
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »

So in closing ;)  Close the system everytime, everywhere.  Be aware, and do not beat dead horses!

rightcross

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »

First lets be intellectual about this, then I will flame!

A)  I never tie a end in my rope Unless I'm climbing at night time.  that goes for lowering some off or rapping!  I have never felt the need to but what do i know I've been climbing for 17 years and that is trad climbing not spurt or gym!

B) Who was at fault for this accident was the climbing party.  They know and i'm sure it has ran through Myriamís mind millions upon millions of time, i should have been watching the rope or tied a knot or checked to see the length of the pitch.  But that did not happen and an accident happened.  Why because they thought the anchors were set up for a 60 m rapp not 70m.  From what I was told the last 10 m of the climb do not matter. Seriously How many areas set up anchors at all different lengths? 50m, 60m, 70m and how many people use a 70m rope? especially spurt climbing???  Since this happened Rich and Myriam have been thinking how to prevent this from happening to other people.  They don't want to see anyone get hurt and go thought the same thing of what happened to them.  IMO I think it's a good idea to standard lengths on anchors 60m and if they are not mark the anchor with a 70m tag.  It's not a hard thing to do and may save future climbers from going through the same thing.

C)NOW FOR the STRANDMAN FLAME: Maybe if Strandman said complacency instead of "fucking idiot" I would have not replied but since he did, it pissed me off and now I'm making a reply. 

I know Rich and Myriam, climbed w/ them both and they are far from "fucking idiots"!  In fact they highly intellectuals far smarter than i will ever be and judging by strandmans half-wit replies I know I'm far smarter then he will ever be so that makes strandman bottom of the brains food chain!  Call Myriam a drama queen, are you fucking kidding me she went through a horrifying experience watching her best friend and lover fall.  Something that will stick in her mind forever and she is just simply trying tell people about it to help get past what happened and also make aware to people that this can happen to anyone.  So Strandman judging by you 1000+ posts you seem much more like a drama queen well definitely a queen!  And you talk about their insurance but you are crying about how you have to pay 26k for new hip.  maybe if you stretched and took care of yourself you wouldn't need a hip.

So strandman what is your real name anyway? or you just want to hide behind stringdickman?  Anyway I invite you to come down to the cliffs at Valhalla climbing gym April 5 between 7pm-10pm and dare you to spout off shit like you have been on this thread and see how many teeth you leave with.
John O

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2011, 10:06:38 AM »

Cool, It's 5th grade again..

Any way you look at it you can not pass blame on to the  70m anchors..   heck i went back to the gunks after 20years and there are all these new bolted anchors. no one bothered to tell me that they are set for 70m.   We had no problem not killing ourselfs.

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2011, 10:58:26 AM »

Don't bite.  Let the poor horsey rest.  Even if it is April Fools and the prankster has a grand total of 1 post

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »

Strandman is John Strand,and he is pretty well known both at this site,and around North Conway.He has a considerable number of difficult (5.12) ascents to his credit,when bolted ,done on lead,and some have R if not X ratings.He's not known for candy coating his opinions.

So in here it's quite a stretch to say he's hiding behind a name.

I was sorry to hear of Rich's accident. We all know a simple knot would have prevented it,and that that knot can be done in such a way as to not interfere with getting the curls out as you climb or lower. I'd absolutely hate to see plaques,or rules for anchor locations,or warnings for them, and I suspect Rich would too.Once you start warning people about the rappels,ropes will have to carry a similar warning of their length.
Tom Stryker

tinker

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2011, 11:12:13 AM »

So in closing ;)  Close the system everytime, everywhere.  Be aware, and do not beat dead horses!
I Tried :-\

rightcross

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »

don't know any 70 m bolted rapps in the gunks can you tell me where.  Oldcrustyeric i have 2 post now!  figures strand used bolts!  most weenies do!

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »

I'm so confused. Wasn't Rich lowering off bolts on a sport climb when he got dropped? You are a trad climber who climbs at a gym with a cliff inside for seventeen years? And you keep specific hours there but are dissing people who lead bolt 12R outside?

Maybe you can clear this up for me. Plain english is good,I'm not an intellectual.
Tom Stryker

DGoguen

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2011, 01:58:16 PM »

Ah yes, the return of the mysterious pipe manufacturer from the midwest. The one who shall not be mentioned. :'(

DGoguen

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »

spout off shit like you have been on this thread and see how many teeth you leave with.
John O

Jokes on you, John has no teeeth left.

rightcross

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »

Tom S,

yes Rich was lowering off a bolted climb but if he did the FA you know darn well, there would be no bolts.  your point is?

as far as the climbing gym.  It's a benefit held at the gym to help Rich out. it would be great for you to show up.  i do not go there but i will be there on April 5 to show support.  

Not dissing 12r leading, dissing putting bolts in so i would think its really not 12 r, maybe sections of 5.7r.  understand, capice, Comprende, c'est compris, sumjhe...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:25:59 PM by rightcross »

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »

From 3rd edition,Rock Climbs in the White Mountains,by Ed Webster.

Autoclave 5.12R -You might want to toprope this route first,unless you are a highly skilled doctor of face climbing-with a fully paid up life insurance policy.
1. Climb Clean Sweep to the third bolt,then move up and right on extremely thin moves (5.12C R ), to a tiny ledge and and the top. 5.12C R

After Tom Callahan and John Stand toproped the route in July, 1988, John Strand led the route in November 1988.

I'm aware Rich doesn't place bolts on Fa's in the Gunks, neither does anyone else. If you've climbed anywhere much,you'd be aware few places are so suited to boltless climbing. The route listed above is just one Stand has to his credit,many on remote cliffs,including the famous "Jim Dunn is consumed by black flies".

Other than that, no I don't even begin to comprehend your reference to 5.7R.  And my point is your friend Rich wouldn't be lowering off a sport climb at City of Rocks unless someone bolted it first, so like the rest of your drivel it seems asinine to diss sport climbing or bolts on this thread,much more so someone who had the sack to place his on lead. Capice?
Tom Stryker

rightcross

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »

look tomtom john Strand came off as an arrogant prick!  i don't know why maybe Rich walked up to one of strand's Top Rope projects and lead it onsight idk.  Not only did Rich not place bolts in Gunks, he didn't place any in the Eastern Sierras, Wind rivers, North Cascades, Big Ben, Heuco, etc..

Me personally I don't like bolts or spurt climbing you have at it though.  but go ahead make another reply saying you can't comprehend.  So you can win. out of here.  btw NH ratings are soft

DWT

« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »

Wow! Rightcross sounds like a real tough guy.  I'm in awe. :-*

DLottmann

« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »

Obvious troll is obvious...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 23 queries.