NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learn to climb ice  (Read 149 times)

The Gillian

Learn to climb ice
« on: January 03, 2002, 12:16:04 AM »

Hey all a rock climber here who is interested in learning how to climb some ice.  I've been climbing stone since 1998. I Chased the sports grades a while, and then in 2000 stopped clipping bolts and started trad.  My experinces on different types of stone is limited as I've only climbed at NC's Boone (sandstone), WV's NRG (sandstone), Co. Boulder (granite), and WY. Lander (limestone).  

Anyways, I've wanted to try ice climbing for a long time, and eventually I'd like to get into some serious alpine mountaineering.  My goal is to be an all round good climber.  I may never make the 5.13 grade on stone or boulder V12's, or Climb the hardest aid or ice routes, but I want to at least have tangled with and experienced each form of climbing.  

Anyways I'm seeking some information about how I can learn to climb ice, or get into some high altitude alpine climbing.  Only places I know to learn to ice climb is at the ice climbing festivals in Colorado, and some festival sponsored by the IMCS in Febuary at New Hampshire somewhere I think.  

I was also wonderin how you ice freaks find peeps, train, stay warm on the ice, and what gear should I buy (I want to buy right the first time, cuz Ice gear iz expensive).

Any information about this seemingly brutal but interesting next lvl of climbing would be appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

The Gillian

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
Re: Learn to climb ice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2002, 07:46:20 AM »

Best thing to do, if you don't have an experienced partner to learn from, is to take a class.  I took a class from EMS when I learned ice, but IMCS, Chauvin Guides, The Appalaichan Mountain Club, and any other number of local guide services all offer good classes.  Equipment is really a personal thing...I own a pair of old grivel rambo axes, a pair of Moser Quarks (very different tools...all you have to do is swing them to tell), half and half BD screws and Grivel screws, a pair of Grivel rambo monopoint crampons, and a pair of Simond pitbull crampons....

hope this helps!
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Learn to climb ice
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2002, 07:55:45 PM »

as far as buying gear I'd check out IME here in North Conway. everyone there climbs & they won't steer you wrong for the gear. they also have a consignment shop in the basement where you can often get some good gear fairly cheap.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

The Gillian

Re: Thanks for the info, would like some more
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2002, 02:38:56 AM »

Ah ok thanks for the information guys.  I really appreciate it.  ;D  Since I don't have an experienced peep to climb ice with I think I'll head north to the ice festival in NH in Feb.  Might anyone know where I can find some info on the festival. I looked in the latest issue of Climbing magazine, but only they only mentioned the festival in Co.

Oh and is there any thing I could do as training to prepare for the ice climbing, I'm starting to get outta shape, since I've been idle for about 3 weeks.

I'll try to hoard some cash to buy some ice climbing gear at the North Conway shop, and pay for the gas since I'll be driving from WV.  Oh and some directions on how to get there would be nice.  As well as some info on the town, and the local climbers.  Will they be helpful to a young rookie, whose totally ignorant about ice and winter camping?  If I make it to NH and find N.Conway is there a place where can I camp?  And if so how much will it cost?  How will I meet other climbers?  

Sorry to be so full of questions guys, but I'm just highly motivated about getting out there on some ice, and learning.

The Gillian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.