General > Rock Climbing: Sport

UPDATE: Peregrine Falcon nesting at Rumney's Main Cliff

<< < (2/8) > >>

Admin Al:
Attention Climbers: 

The seasonal closure for Peregrine Falcons at the Main Cliff at Rumney Rocks Climbing Area has been lifted. 

Temporary closures for NH state-threatened Peregrine Falcons are implemented at certain high-use sites from time to time to promote successful nesting.  In this case, NH Audubon biologists monitoring the site for NH Fish & Game have determined that the local falcon pair has abandoned their nesting attempt on the Main Cliff and are not attempting to re-nest at Main Cliff or elsewhere on the adjacent cliffs this Spring.  Climbers are still encouraged to report any encounters that include vocal and aggressive behavior by the falcons. 

At the present time, no additional area closures for falcons at Rumney Rocks are anticipated during the 2011 season.

Chris Martin, Senior Biologist
Conservation Department, New Hampshire Audubon
84 Silk Farm Road, Concord, NH  03301

Office phone:  603/224-9909 x317;  Fax:  603/226-0902;
E-mail:  cmartin@nhaudubon.org;  Web:  www.nhaudubon.org

New Hampshire Audubon -- Protecting New Hampshire's natural environment for wildlife and for people.

jammer:
This is bitter sweet news.  The cliff is open, which is great, yet I would like more falcons in the area.  They are such beautiful birds to watch.

Mike G:
Check it out. If you want to watch Falcons the Audubon has a camera mounted in a nesting box on the Brady Sullivan building in Manchester. Three chicks two weeks old. Pretty cool.

eyebolter:
I wonder what happened?  When I helped Chris band several years ago he told me that Rumney was the most successful hatching site in New Hampshire.

sneoh:

--- Quote from: eyebolter on May 15, 2011, 08:30:43 PM ---When I helped Chris band several years ago he told me that Rumney was the most successful hatching site in New Hampshire.

--- End quote ---
Wow, I would not have guessed that.  I too wonder what happened.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version