Author Topic: New Route section Format?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
New Route section Format?
« on: April 03, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
Hey Al, have you ever thought about changing the route section to something more like what mountainproject has or a wiki format? I think it might get more action if people were more easily able to add information or update old entries themselves. As it is now, we have to write something up in an email, in a format that you then transfer into the database, or make a posting that later gets buried in the message board, and leave it to you to dig out and translate the info. That seems kind of inefficient. You might be able to make it so people earn various levels of editing privileges. I would like to contribute more information, but I just find the MP format much more flexible and I can slowly work on adding things and go back and edit as I have time. That site also allows putting photos in more easily and in larger sizes.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

strandman

Re: New Route section Format?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
I too need a larger space for pix  ;)  I think a comment space or such for the routes would be cool, maybe even a tick section.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:13:51 PM »
OK...good ideas. I'll give it some consideration. the deal is that I wrote this site from scratch, it's not a kit. so any changes mean that I have to code them. but I do think that letting people add comments to the Routes is a good idea. not sure about letting folks add their own routes & areas tho. that's a big programming effort.
Al Hospers

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:21:56 PM »
I see how that might be a lot of work then. Don't worry about it. Not being tech savvy, I pictured the route section being kind of like a site within a site, so thought you might be able to use some ready made architecture.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

strandman

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
Al, speaking of,,, A couple of people have been looking at the Captain stuff and I noticed some typos (prolly my fault) if you get a chance-

no pins are needed, a few small cams only , tiny

On P1 you go RIGHT to the belay.

All ascents that I know of say 11a

ps there is also a new route just L 5.9 (5.7R) that is 6 pitches, Captain Jameson, By jon garlough

thanks

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:22:22 PM »
John - DONE...
Al Hospers

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »
Al, you are welcome to use any of the information and pictures I have posted on MP about Green's and Owl's Cliff. Cut and paste or paraphrase what ever works for this site if you wish (like directions)
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

strandman

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
Good point Mark, use any of my stuff as well.

Thanks

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »
thanks Mark. I'll try & do that. it would add a lot...
Al Hospers