NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumney Police  (Read 1987 times)

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
Rumney Police
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »

Big ups to these guys for not putting up with the idiots that persist on parking on the side of Buffalo road, keep towing.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: Rumney Police
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »

That makes me feel a little better for 'missing out' a weekend at Rumney because of a cold and kid's activities.
'No Parking' signs are aplenty so not sure why people keep doing it .....

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

jammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »

I'm sure this will not go over well, but I sure wish they would do something about all those who use the parking lot and not pay.  It's a state park and in order to do the upkeep, they need revenue. 

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:42:32 AM »

It's not a state park
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 06:10:09 AM »

National Forest. Beside, the parking fee has nothing to do with with people who jeopardize access by parking in the road. The fee is for revenue, a whole different can of worms.

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »

National Forest. Beside, the parking fee has nothing to do with with people who jeopardize access by parking in the road. The fee is for revenue, a whole different can of worms.

Yeah - where the revenue actually goes is a ginormous can of worms.  But clearly some should go back to the town for the expenses they are incurring.

jammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »

It's not a state park
Thanks for the correction, but no matter what it is called, the fee needs to be paid to support the work they are doing.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »

Last year, friends and I tried to figure out how much $ the typical climber actually spends in Rumney on a typical day visit.  While we could not agree on a precise figure, we agreed that it is likely quite a bit less than $5.  We figured that most $ climbers spent were done so in Plymouth, not Rumney.  I am as guilty as anyone, I do not eat in Rumney, I do not buy gas in Rumney when I have to stop for gas.  Heck, nine times out of 10, the only stop I make in Rumney in my car is the Main Parking Lot.
It is no wonder to me that we are not a well-liked bunch in Rumney.  I try to be as courteous as possible whenever I see anyone that might be a local resident.  Common courtesy costs me nothing materially and hopefully will do its small part in preventing the situation from getting much worse.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »

Sneoh, I take it this can be read as don't be an ahole and park in the road, or if people want to spend $ in Rumney get a big ticket and get your car towed?

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »

Mike, the 1st two and don't forget about walking single-file, off the road, facing traffic.
Revenue wise, the ticket and towing thing will do the trick but will do nothing to endear us to the common folks of Rumney.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »

I'm hoping once they pave the parking lot they will put something up along the entrances  either guard rails or some boulders to stop the "creative" parking.   It was almost impossible to squeeze through to leave on sunday.   Also someone parked about 2 feet from the bathroom door. 

+1 for props for the rumney police.  people will learn eventually if they keep at it.
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:11:43 AM »

As long as you were able to get out it works for me.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:42:10 AM »

People need to make a lot more effort to carpool, even if it is only from the library parking lot in Rumney center. With gas prices where they are, I would think they would want to do it anyway. Maybe the Calmpost needs a shuttle from the library to the cafe  ;)

Also, if people could get over the tendency to randomly pull into a spot in the morning, but pull up close to whomever is already there, quite a few spaces could be saved. That runs counter to people's personal space issues, but they need to reprogram themselves when it comes to cars.

Now if the Cameras were to make an overflow lot  in part of their field and charge $5 a car, I bet they could pull in a fair amount of extra cash
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 07:50:24 AM »

Maybe the Calmpost needs a shuttle from the library to the cafe  ;)

Now if the Cameras were to make an overflow lot  in part of their field and charge $5 a car, I bet they could pull in a fair amount of extra cash
A fine idea and they will pull in some $ too in the morning - coffee, bagel, muffin, energy bar, etc - and afternoon; cold drinks, snack.

One Sun last Sep, the owner of the land diagonally across from the Main Parking Lot opened up his field to parking.  We took advantage of that.  We offered to pay him but he refused.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:53:56 AM by sneoh »

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »

You sure you guys aren't talking about the Gunks ?  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 23 queries.