Author Topic: Weather pet peeve  (Read 124 times)

Offline jls

• NEClimbs Newbie
Weather pet peeve
« on: January 09, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
Wind chill! It feels like....what the hell is that suppose to mean? This whole past week in the Northeast we've been treated as children, I've even been told how I need to dress - really??  I get it, it feels colder when the wind blows when it's cold out, but we are at the point where the temp gets thrown out and the wind chill is the reported temp. I hear on the Boston radio/tv shows, NPR, WMUR....whenever we have a blow we get the superlatives going. I want just the facts mam, what's the temp, what range is the wind going to be. What happens when you turn your face and get it out of the wind, what is the wind chill now? Oh and why stop there? Heat index, here comes another 'it feels like'. Why don't I get my heat index in the winter on a warm winter day or my wind chill in the summer? Somehow we are barely surviving these conditions so lets hike up the extremity of it all to make it even worse. Other than that I love these extremes, in the winter anyway, not so much the summer.

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
Re: Weather pet peeve
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 05:01:16 PM »
Mrs. Eyebolter's school was delayed for two hours.   7 below zero in January hardly constitutes an emergency.

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »
My kids grew up here. They went out all the time in temps people in Pennsylvania would hide in. Five below, make a snowman, ok. Keep moving! Never had an issue!
Tom Stryker

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:32:38 PM »
My kid's school had no delay. Thank goodness.
Just plan ahead - heavier jacket, hat, thicker gloves,  warm the car up.  Good to go!
I thought this morning's heavy snow squall was more of a hazard.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 01:06:19 AM »
Mrs. Eyebolter's school was delayed for two hours.   7 below zero in January hardly constitutes an emergency.

+++

I moved here in the past few years, so my perspective may be skewed. But my first year it was -28F when I pulled in to town with the moving truck. Isn't that normal?

Cold snowy winters are why I live here! Wanna know what it feels like? FEELS LIKE A POWDER DAY.
We came to climb, not to whine.