NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 11695 times)

Joe_Re

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #345 on: January 21, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »

Bottled Joe's Duct Tape Label "Wait of the World" Strong Ale about two weeks ago.

Had a few Friday night.  If you've ever had Triple Bock it's sorta like that.  Syrupy sweet, no bitterness or hop flavor, very little carbonation and a shitload of alcohol.  It did sit in the fermenter for a loooonnnngggg time due to my laziness.  Gonna bring it upstairs, let it warm up and see if it carbonates a bit more.

What else is who home brewing?
"Men hang out signs indicative of their respective trades: shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; a jewler a monster watch; and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the Franconia Mountains of New Hampshire god almighty has hung out a sign to say in New England he makes men".
Daniel Webster 18?

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #346 on: January 21, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »

That's definitely some strong shit!   :)
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #347 on: January 22, 2014, 10:34:28 AM »

A bartender friend of mine wants to do "high end car bombs"    good aged stouts/porters combined with top shelf irish whiskey..sound like a good idea to me!!!!!

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #348 on: January 22, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »

Bottled Joe's Duct Tape Label "Wait of the World" Strong Ale about two weeks ago.

Had a few Friday night.  If you've ever had Triple Bock it's sorta like that.  Syrupy sweet, no bitterness or hop flavor, very little carbonation and a shitload of alcohol.  It did sit in the fermenter for a loooonnnngggg time due to my laziness.  Gonna bring it upstairs, let it warm up and see if it carbonates a bit more.

I homebrew.  Just finished drinking a vanilla milk stout.  In primary right now is a maple porter and on deck after that is maybe a heff for the spring/summer.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #349 on: January 22, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »

I have in the past, but with 12 brewpubs within an hour, it's silly now.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2014, 06:25:53 PM »

I homebrew now and then -- mostly APA's and IPA's and sometimes a good session type ale with rye or wheat in the grist. The problem is every time I keg up a couple of batches we have a party and drink it all in one sitting.  :P

Too bad we don't have more than a couple of decent brewpubs in NH.
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »

In California on business and had a very nice beer from Ninkasi Brewing from OR. Tricerahops DIPA! Great name. And who knew - Ninkasi is the Sumerian goddess of beer.

On the downside - the place I'd found last year that had Pliny the Elder on tap kicked the keg Monday and won't have another till Thursday. And I'll be elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:17:08 AM by markvnh »

DLottmann

« Reply #352 on: January 30, 2014, 05:33:29 PM »

OMG wow... just cracked a Founders Backwoods Bastard... ale aged in oak bourbon barrels, 10.2% abv... hold on to your hats!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/35036/

Joe_Re

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #353 on: February 21, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »

Just racked Joe's Duct Tape Label, Totally Tubular (cycling reference) Pale Ale, to the secondary fermenter.  Should come out right around 5%.  I've never used Goldings hops but they are described to be a traditional British bittering and aroma hop.  Not sure I love the flavour of the hops, but it's an unfinished ale so a week or two in the secondary and a few weeks in the bottle could do wonders.  We'll see!
"Men hang out signs indicative of their respective trades: shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; a jewler a monster watch; and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the Franconia Mountains of New Hampshire god almighty has hung out a sign to say in New England he makes men".
Daniel Webster 18?

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #354 on: February 25, 2014, 05:03:54 AM »

I happen to be reading this while in England. What they call pale ale and India pale ale we would never recognize unless you knew it was really the true style! Not as hoppy as our versions of the styles.

Not sure if it's the goldings hops or the fact that they probably hop less but ABV in England on pales and India pale ales is certainly less - and way less hoppy and floral than what we drink!

Joe_Re

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #355 on: February 25, 2014, 08:21:47 AM »

I typically produce brews that are about 8-10% ABV or so, use bittering hops that are about 10-12%AA and tend to steep a lot more grains.  With this one the hops are 4.8%AA and I steeped very little grain.
Daniel Webster 18?

tks

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #356 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »

I've got a citra ipa on the corny keg right now.  took more than a week to carb up... i have a hop devil clone in primary - in fact it's time to dry hop tonight...

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #357 on: February 25, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »

Yum citra...

My best homebrew IPA is centennial for bittering then tons of citra at 20,15,10 and 5 minutes then dry hopped with one ounce citra and one ounce centennial.

-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #358 on: February 25, 2014, 07:44:31 PM »

Popping open a few porters sunday that have been in bottles for 3 weeks.  Got another small batch to bottle too.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #359 on: February 26, 2014, 10:19:41 AM »

I just read that Sierra Tropedo  is the best selling IPA in America ?!  Taste buds are gettting better I guess
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.