NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 11543 times)

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »

Any homebrewers ever bake bread with your spent grains?  Delicious.  And the wife minds much less about your hobby taking over the house.

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #361 on: February 26, 2014, 04:33:42 PM »

Joe,

Woodstock Station makes their pizza crust from spent grain - it's great. And somewhere in Colorado also that I went to made pizza crust and bread with spent grain! Awesome. And happy to hear your wife approves.

Mark

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #362 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »

the problem with spent grain in pizza crust is that people use too much whole wheat flour altitude..too heavy.  the best pizza in CO is at my house.

We need a pizza and ice cream thread !

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2014, 09:52:42 PM »

I love spent grain bread.  Just baked my second batch yesterday.  I am not married, The wife approval was a mere suggestion to the married folks.

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #364 on: March 04, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »

I managed to score a single bottle of Dogfish Head 120-minute IPA from 2014. It was given to me by a generous friend who runs the Rumney Village Store.

It is, to say the least, amazing. Easily one of the best beers I have ever tasted. It pours like maple syrup and tastes like a mixture of honey and raisins.

It lives up to the hype. If you can find some -- and I don't think Ken has any more at the General Store, but he has plenty of other gems -- you'd be well advised to try it, and buy it.
We came to climb, not to whine.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #365 on: March 04, 2014, 07:56:55 PM »

An IPA that tastes like honey and raisins? Sounds like something went drastically wrong. (I like the 60 and 90.)
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #366 on: March 04, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »

An IPA that tastes like honey and raisins? Sounds like something went drastically wrong. (I like the 60 and 90.)

I generally dislike IPAs, but the guy insisted I try it. It tastes like no IPA I have ever had. Sweet sweet goodness.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #367 on: March 04, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »

Sweet IPA, hmmm.  I have to think about that one.
I've had the 60 and 90.  Good as I expected.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Joe_Re

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #368 on: March 05, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »

Gonna bottle up Joe's Duct Tape Label 'Totally Tubular' Pale Ale in a few hours.  It's beer now and I could drink it, but in about two weeks it'll have lotsa little bubbles all about it.

Pete, the 120min is good stuff right.  It used to be 21%, and really freakin boozy, but I think it got toned down to around 15%.  I got a few of em aging (the old ones) along with a bunch of other neat stuff.  Working at a liquor store in Boston for a bunch a years really helped build up the store-room.

With the fermenters getting cleaned out I have to start working on the next recipe.  While I've always liked brewing more traditional beers, I have a quart of incredible local maple syrup my step-father gave me.  Something dark, with maple for the next brew perhaps?
"Men hang out signs indicative of their respective trades: shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; a jewler a monster watch; and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the Franconia Mountains of New Hampshire god almighty has hung out a sign to say in New England he makes men".
Daniel Webster 18?

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #369 on: March 05, 2014, 10:23:17 AM »

DFH 120 is like a wine..you better split the bottle up  .  The 60 and 90 are just great..

The one that's killing me now is any kind of spruce tip shit..it's OK in small doses, but some people overdo it..tastes like sucking on a tree (i know)

Joe_Re

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #370 on: March 05, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »

Haven't tried the spruce stuff, maybe they were inspired by drinking Sahti.  You should try Alba Scots Pine Ale.  I thought it was pretty alright.
"Men hang out signs indicative of their respective trades: shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; a jewler a monster watch; and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the Franconia Mountains of New Hampshire god almighty has hung out a sign to say in New England he makes men".
Daniel Webster 18?

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #371 on: March 05, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »

DFH 120 is like a wine..you better split the bottle up  .  The 60 and 90 are just great..

The one that's killing me now is any kind of spruce tip shit..it's OK in small doses, but some people overdo it..tastes like sucking on a tree (i know)

I wish I had read this before polishing off the one bottle. One beer, and I was late for work today. Yowzah!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #372 on: March 05, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »

:D There's a tiny place out here.3 barrel brewing that does sours big  time.We were doing a rebolting event a while ago and shitty cold weather (I thought I was back in NH) and he hands me an unmarked bomber "try this"  I belted down quite a bit and he says 'it's a sour"   NO SHIT  8)

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #373 on: March 05, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »

Alaskan Brewery has a good winter brew with spruce tips, the first are pretty good but you're correct by December I'm pretty sick of it.

Speaking of doctored beers. Anyone remember or have Otter Creeks smoked porter. Some years it tasted OK other years it was like sipping burnt bacon in a bottle.

Slurped back a few Hill Farmstead Edwards the other day, certainly changed the day.

Got totally duped by marketing in Shaws last week. After walking by the Guinness display ten times I finally knuckled and thought what the heck it's been awhile. 2/3rds through the second can I was like what was I thinking.

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #374 on: March 05, 2014, 02:34:07 PM »

...Edward would change my day too! Sean Hill at Hill Farmstead brews some of the best beers around. The brewery is rated the the best brewery in the world on ratebeer.com!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33   Go Up

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 22 queries.